Cat 5 signal loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently installed spy cameras around my house , as i need to to monitor the activities out there. My objective was to have a live view of the happenings in my house sitting from my office, on my laptop. My office is around 200 feet away from my house.

All the a/v feed from the cameras are being captured in a c.p.u placed at my house.

In order to get me a feed my engeneer did the following - he shared both the systems with networking , over a cat 5 lan network, distance was around 200 feet , between the systems (cpu and my laptop), however I am unable to get any signal on my laptop , from my cpu, cant even ping my cpu from the systems. Every thing is in order , the crimping and other such things.
However it is working fine at the very point , using a 2 feet cat 5 cable i can get good signal , and my systems are shared ( I can acess the screen of the cpu , and its d drive from my laptop, even control the operations of my cpu).

What is going wrong , are we missing somthing out here , or some other technology is required for this.

Please help.

cat 5 should be good for 100m (~300 ft) so I would suspect something else.

create a wiring diagram from the camera to whatever it is connected, to how your systems
attach to a router (I assume).

A HUB or switch will not do ...

every thing is fine that way , the wires are being pulled from the roofs of one building to another building in an open air environment , can that cause the defect.

We are using a simple lan connection , no switches or hubs are being used.

Please help.

yes they are insulated , i have used a standard d link cat 5 cable .

Help

Hope that there are no specified models for outdoor use???

We have ties stay wires to support cat 5 cable in outdoors, have taken ample care that the cat 5 cable is not stretched , we have only streached the stay wires

UTP: Unshielded Twisted Pair is different from STP: Shielded
and the UTP is the most frequently seen. STP is also more expensive which leads directly (for most of us) to the UTP solution.

imo, the line should be tested with a vom to verify the crimps are good, unless it was purchased premade (which the O.P. info does not suggest).

In support of your comment, see Is Your Ethernet Cable Tough Enought
which is a long term issue and the O.P. is failing day-one.

My ISPs cable runs about 300 feet to my office. I believe that there are differences in outdoor and indoor spec'ed cable. Looking at Jobeard's link, there are great differences in indoor and outdoor Cat 5e cable.

Cat 5 crimping errors, from tools that are too cheaply made are the usual cause in our area.
Get some of your cables tested at a professional shop.
You might try prebuilt a Cat5 or Cat6 Plenum cable as a test.

should not. There are few connections that need a cross-over.
One end goes to a router and the other can then be another router or a single system.

well tried every thing , this is not making any sense, I got a new roll of wire , and tried connecting in an indoor environment, still it does not work. To my surprise now that i recheck even that 2 feet wire is not working any more now. This is a peer to peer connection , no routers in it. One end of rj45 is i the lan port of the cpu , and the another end is in the lan port of my laptop. (is that causing it ?), as far as crimping goes we are doing it correct ,is there any specefic crimping combination i need to use ? It could be that there is something more fundamentally wrong , as because even the new wires do not work (rules out the possibility of any breakage or deterioration) , could it be because the network is not configured properly ? Can somebody guide me on this from scratch , because i suspect my engineer is a jack *** , and might be he screwed it up.

Well that explains it; peer-to-peer is THE case for a cross-over cable.

HOWEVER, if you wish to allow the remote system to have internet access as well as just
file sharing, just get a router and connect BOTH systems to it -- much more common and
reliable.

I seem to be working on a house of blunders.

1) I was mistaken , The way the wires have been coiled , from building top to building top , i realize all of 250 mtr. of cat 5 wire. Now this is more than 100 mtr.

In this case what do i need to use , for extension?

2) Yes there were crimping issues , they have been resolved. I got a new coil and got both end (entire coil of 305mtr) crimped by a professional (straight crimping) , Now that i connect both ends to my laptop and my cpu, the lan lights are glowing , and showing connected @10. mbps. But i cannot access the systems shared folders.

3) Now about crossover cables, I have used a new factory made 3 ft. ct 5 cable cable , which has straight crimping (not cross over ) , but i can connect both the systems easily. So whats happening?

4) Again 1 observation , the 3 feet ones are giving me a speed of 100 mbps, connecting to the systems properly, where as mentioned , the entire coil show
@10 mbps , but not connecting properly.

Please help.

Thanks

We have been successful using devices that amplify the signal while at the same time filtering the noise that becomes an issue on long cables... the devices are needed every 100 feet, and are not low cost, but we have installed them up the sides of mountains and cliffs in southern Arizona and Northern Mexico.

They are made by a number of companies. Talk to your provider to get one that is acceptable on their sytem... about $130, but should be found more cheaply nowadays.

This has not answered by 2nd and third point.

Just an observation , do these device you mention do they need electricity ?, i suspect because you mention mountain cliffs.

There are three types that we have seen and used. Batteries similar to these little Solar 325, 650, or 800 mAh Ni-CD batteries for solar yard lights... that are energized and recharged by sunlight and last about a year... cost per year about $20 if bought on eBay. These are NOT the same as Ni-Cad flashlight batteries, but they come in sizes the same as AAA and AA batteries... All of ours have lasted more than a year before they had to be replaced.
We use a battery packet for every 100 feet, but were told we only needed them every 300 feet.... which didn't meet my knowledge of power on a wire.

We also have some big hummers that are connected to electrical power every 7,500 yards... same as remote telephone lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back