Category 6 UTP Standard is (finally) Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

Category 6 UTP Standard is (finally) Here
Posted by CmdrTaco on Saturday July 06, @10:34AM
from the just-after-I-wired-my-basement dept.

An anonymous reader writes "This is only important for the networkphiles out there, but the Category 6 UTP specification is finally here. The standard is the TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1. The significance of this is that now you can transmit at 250Mhz frequencies (vs 100Mhz of Cat 5/5e). So 1Gbps is easily achievable. Of course ther's still Category 7 (600Mhz) in development, but I guess we should eventually move to fiber." Who hasn't crimped cat-5 before?

source: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/07/06/137222&mode=thread&tid=137

TIA Approves Category 6 Telecommunications Standard for Publication

Arlington, Va. -- The Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) announced today that the category 6 standard for telecommunications cabling has been approved for publication as TIA/EIA-568-B.2-1 (buy it now). This addendum is part of the TIA/EIA-568-B series of commercial building cabling standards, which are the most successful standards published by TIA. The new category 6 standard specifies requirements for 100-ohm balanced twisted-pair cables, connecting hardware, patch cords, channels and permanent links, and provides test procedures for laboratory and field performance verification over the frequency range of 1 to 250 MHz. Because category 6 supports positive power sum attenuation to crosstalk (PSACR) margins up to 200 MHz, this new cabling system offers double the bandwidth of category 5e cabling and vastly improved signal-to-noise margins. The category 6 standard also includes cable and connecting hardware balance recommendations for improved electromagnetic compatibility performance.

Category 6 cabling recognizes advances in cabling technology and is designed to be backward compatible with categories 3, 5 and 5e. This ensures that any applications that operate on lower category cabling will be fully supported by category 6 cabling. When different category components are mixed with category 6 components, the resultant cabling will satisfy the category transmission requirements of the lower performing component. To ensure generic cabling system performance, category 6 component requirements are specified to be interoperable when products from different manufacturers are mated.

According to TIA TR-42 Committee Chair Bob Jensen, the publication of the category 6 standard represents a milestone in the history of commercial building cabling specification. "Category 6 facilitates data throughput previously unachievable over balanced twisted-pair cabling. TIA and the ATM Forum have already published gigabit applications standards to operate over category 6 cabling. We anticipate applications groups to begin development of protocols supporting even higher throughput over category 6 cabling."

source: http://www.tiaonline.org/media/press_releases/index.cfm?parelease=02-88

Now, we just need other network hardware to support such speeds. Personally, i think wireless is the future, rather than fiber optics. I'm sure that they will eventually encorporate each other though. Good find phantazmm. :grinthumb

Normal, cheap, 100MBit 5-port hub. It's just the cables that are CAT6. I had some problems with CAT5 cabling, they didn't handle 100MBit at full speed but CAT6 ones do. Probably too much RFI in my room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back