CCleaner hacked

holdum323

Hi I have no idea what I'm doing. I have CCleaner and when it updated, it put Avast anti-virus on my PC.
I'm running Windows defender. I uninstalled Avast and all seems to be OK. If anyone knows what's going on, please post your info on this thread. This is the strangest thing I have ever seen in my 13 years of my computer life. Here's link! I thought I should warn all TS members.;)
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3225407/security/ccleaner-downloads-infected-malware.html

Did you download a new version of CCleaner? Avast may have bundled their virus software with CCleaner, since their purchase of Piriform.

https://www.techspot.com/news/70213-avast-acquires-piriform-maker-ccleaner-speccy.html

I don't know if CCleaner will auto-update. Every time I click update from within CCleaner it takes me to their site to download a new version. For the longest time Chrome was bundled. For me if Avast is bundled it would be a welcomed change from Chrome. Even though I don't want either one.

Hi Friend! Yes I updated my CCleaner. It seems that Avast bundled their software with CCleaner.
I don't what Chrome or Avast. I uninstalled Avast and all seems OK, but that really pisses me off.
Many thanks for your quick reply.
PS I might have clicked on new version, but I'm usually look for those things.
Teamwork is good! Thanks!;)

Hi. Who can you trust these days? The internet and the computer world has become a cesspool!
What's next? You can't even trust CCleaner.:mad:

Hi Friend! I really like this forum a lot. I enjoy the tech news , but my thing is to help Windows users with problems. It seems this site use to be more geared that way, but has changed. That's OK. I'll post where I think I can be a asset and hopefully I can hang around here awhile. Thanks for your replies.

Hi @cliffordcooley Nothing scares this old Okie. I Have a ton of images that I can restore W10 or W7 . Even the registry cleaner in CCleaner doesn't scare me. Some windows users are scared to let CCleaner clean the registry. I'm not scared. Nothing scares me, but things like CCleaner putting Avast on my PC really pisses me off.
PS You are always welcome to reply on my threads and you are appreciated.
Capture25.JPG

It's good that you can service your own PC. Many people don't know how. And many of the elders never cared to learn PC. This newer generation can do anything a phone is capable of. Give them a PC you would think they were never around technology at all.

It's good that you can service your own PC. Many people don't know how. And many of the elders never cared to learn PC. This newer generation can do anything a phone is capable of. Give them a PC you would think they were never around technology at all.
Thanks! I have learned these things from PC users like yourself, and I think I can hold my own, but I'm still learning new things every day.
You are appreciated.

Well each to his own but I would caution you about use of Ccleaner anyway and my main problem with it is the reg cleaner which I would never advise anyone to use. First of all there is nothing to clean in a registry that can possible help your system and sending a "cleaner" into a registry is a dangerous thing to do whether or not you have control over what it removes. Remember one mistake or wrong step and you are reinstalling Windows and of course having Macrium in your toolkit makes your solution easy but remember you are not the only one reading this post but I would bet you are one of the few who think to have backup image files in your repertoire. But my other issue is the website that offers Ccleaner is a cesspool of bloatware and unneeded software that if you accidentally allowed install of a second Antivirus and you are knowledgeable enough to spot that, few others will so suggesting CCleaner use puts others in jeopardy. And if a registry doesn't need "cleaning" neither does a hard drive frankly.. In the days when we hat 9Gb hard drives are were constantly "cleaning" to make room for new data and to allow swap drive that made sense but today the average user has a 1 Tb hard drive and might use 100 Gb of it so why run the risk of removing something that will disable the boot to Windows? A few years ago I ran Ccleaner and reinstalled Windows on two pcs as a result so never again for me! Especially since I cannot find a reason to use it that has any positive side. So use it if you like but lets make readers aware that no forum I have ever been to would support use of same and definitely would warn against use of reg cleaner if they do.

@Rich M totally agree on the question of CCleaner vs the Registry. It clobbered a program for me such that I had to reinstall it, but thankfully only that program.

The concept of 'totally cleaning' is easily overly implemented - - one doesn't need to prune inaccessible data or configuration files - - just disable/delete the binary exe, dlls and to disconnect all the run, runonce stuff -- maybe any file associations too.

Launching automation into the Windows Registry is like an autonomous robot doing open heart surgery without any human attendents.

I will use CCleaner. I will recommend the use of CCleaner. If the horror stories were so bad, I think we would hear about it more frequently than one member out of every ten thousand members.

I will use CCleaner. I will recommend the use of CCleaner. If the horror stories were so bad, I think we would hear about it more frequently than one member out of every ten thousand members.
I have been using CCleaner ever sense I got my first PC. Why CCleaner thinks they need to install Avast, I have no clue. There are a few users out of millions that claim CCleaner bricked their computer. I agree that with the large hard drives, it probably isn't necessary, but I just like to keep my PC clean and well maintained. I'll keep using CCleaner, but I am upset that they installed Avast on me. I suppose it's a money thing like every thing else.

Ok Please have a read here and this is the second such time I have read something similar within the last 6 months. Then tell me what you think.
In the meantime TFC Cleaner and ATF Cleaner have never implanted Malware or tried to the best of my knowledge if you must scrub your drives.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3225407/security/ccleaner-downloads-infected-malware.html

Ohh please, you can't hold third party injections against CCleaner [Piriform or Avast]. You have now taken the thread off-topic. The topic in a nut shell is this. Avast hacking and injecting their own product in their own product, and questioning the quality of CCleaner itself.

Third party injections are a whole different topic, especially when it is a completely different download site hosting said malware infested downloads. I will even bet both articles you read was from the same version (CCleaner 5.33), which was quickly remedied by a new version. What you brought up could happen to any software available to download, and doesn't have anything to do with the integrity of the software.

Ohh please, you can't hold third party injections against CCleaner [Piriform or Avast]. You have now taken the thread off-topic. The topic in a nut shell is this. Avast hacking and injecting their own product in their own product, and questioning the quality of CCleaner itself.

Third party injections are a whole different topic, especially when it is a completely different download site hosting said malware infested downloads. I will even bet both articles you read was from the same version (CCleaner 5.33), which was quickly remedied by a new version. What you brought up could happen to any software available to download, and doesn't have anything to do with the integrity of the software.
Sorry I think you are completely wrong and that link has everything to do with the integrity of the software host site and Piriform is a cesspool IMHO and that is hardly off topic and further provides a public service, my whole point warning people against using third party software that is comepletely unnecessary and actually quite dangerous at times.

Once again the fundamental reason for even using it is flawed, there is no evidence this speeds up your computer and while it appears logical it would, if you ask a knowledgeable tech they would tell you the more on a hard drive the faster it will turn, sort of like the principal of rolling a boulder down a hill as a boulder will gather speed and actually move so much faster than a small rock rolled the same way because of its weight. So use this and run the risk of hurting your system for no real potential gain, that is what makes no sense.

Rich M what makes no sense is you talking non-sense. Hard drives have a spin rate, they will spin at that rate regardless. The only factors that effect spin rate is head position and sector readability. The spacing of data on the disk (not the amount) changes the range of head positioning. It is this range that effects spin rate not the amount of data.

CCleaner is not as detrimental as you would lead everyone to believe.

If you came in here commenting after forter, you have no idea what their problems are. Maybe you should ask before assuming you know. The only problems I have ever had with CCleaner was Microsoft and their new builds, bricking CCleaner where it wouldn't run or install a new version. I'm willing to bet their issue has nothing to do with CCleaner unless they are still using an older version.

I will await your next attempt to badger CCleaner for no reason.

Back