CD-Drive Not reading any disks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber_hunter

Hi, i have basic knoledge of computers so as much help as possible would be appriciated. one day my dvd drive stopped reading cds. when i put a disk in the power light comes on and flashes.

It starts powering up and then stopps, continuoasly powering ip and stopping and then after a while it starts making a repeadted querking sound and then the computer freezes. i have tried opening up the pc and all cables are fine and it has power because the power light comes on. When i click on the drive icon it says please insert disk.

Do u think it could be a scanner problem?
any other suggestions would be greatly appriciated ASAP

AMD Athlon xp 2600
512mb ddr memmory
JLMS XJ-HD 166S 16X DVD DRIVE

UPDATE: i also cant restore windows xp to its original state because the drive wont even recognise the startup disk

PLEASE HELP!

Things you can try are.

Use a cd lense cleaning disk.

Try a different ide cable.

Go into your device manager, and uninstall the device from there, then reboot your system, and let Windows redetect it.

Finally, buy a new dvd drive, this one could be faulty.

Regards Howard :cool:

i now remember seeing a jole or split in the data cable, or i think thats what it is. it was a thin, wide flat sort of thing.

if you know what im talking about do u know where i could get one of those things?

most definately. Don't confuse an IDE cable with a floppy cable. A floppy cable has a twisted set of lines built into the cable.

Never use a torn or damaged cable. You can short your components.

it could be a software problem because i checked the event viewer and it came up with an arror which roughly said

Device \\. \CdRom0 could not start because it has a "bad/corrupt block"

Does anyone know how to fix this? :confused:

A bad block means you physically have developed a bad block/sector on the hard disk. ALL hard disks have bad sectors. When you low-level format a hard drive this process isolates any bad sectors from any operating system you might put on it. Normally through normal operation the OS will continue to monitor and correct any bad sectors that might develop by moving data to a different sector or platter. In the event it can't, you will get this error. The only real safe solution is to back up everything you can, re low-level format the hard drive and reinstall everything back. I always recommend to have a second hard disk drive to back your stuff up to.

If you continue to get a lot of errors like this, your hard disk is failing and should be replaced. One or two errors isn't bad, but continuous errors like this are clear signs the drive is deteriorating.

it was only 1 error about a month ago and do you know of any sites where i can find out how to low-level format a hard drive?

my pc also came with windows xp already on it and with various imbeded programs such as microsoft word.

If i re-format the hard drive will the original operating system with all the programs be on there, just as if i use the restore disk.

How do i re-format the drive eithout using the restore disk.

no sites really. When you buy a HD you low-level format it either with the software that came with it (DOS-based), or with your windows XP / 98 install disk.

You will have to delete all partitions. It is always best to do a SLOW format, this way all bad sectors are marked.

You can use your system restore disk, but most brand name computers make it hard for users to "rebuild" a hard drive, especially newbies.

It's always best to either buy a generic system, or build one yourself. Always have the OS on a separate disk and not bundled with a bunch of vendor crap on it.

If i re format the hd and afterwards insert the restore/master disk, will the cd install the operating system that the pc came with?

A friend of mine has a windows xp installation disk but has already used it.

will i need to buy a new separate copy or can i just use his?

First i would replace that cable or you won't be able to restore anything on that machine as the CD drive won't run.
Second i would look at exactly what's on the restore disks you have before you format anything. A format of any kind erases all data on the drive so you will have nothing, no OS no programs etc.
Third i would contact the manufacturer to see how the machine was shipped. Some builders put the OS backups in hidden partitions and they will be able to instruct you on how to make a CD that will restore the OS.
When you're ready with that info we can walk you the steps to format and re-install...

patio. :cool:

wow! you are a newbie!

YES. Just follow the directions when booting the CD

Don't take this the wrong way. Asking a question like that means you have no business opening the case. You're too new.

You cannot "borrow" a buddies XP CD.

1. It's illegal and piracy.

2. XP is licensed for only one machine/ motherboard at a time.

3. If you want, you can buy a copy of XP PRO. I wouldn't bother with XP Home.

4. If your computer's installation/restore CD has XP on it, then use it.

whats an INCD?

And yes my pc is an emachines desktop with an nvidia 2 motherboard that came with a restore disk.
This restore disk has the operating system "windows xp home" without SP2, and incorparated programs that came with the pc when i first used it.

If it's got the operating system it means i can use it right?

Does anyone know the phone number of Emachines? :eek:

INCD is for writing to re-writeable CD's.

If you re-install you'll have to re-apply SP2 and all updates.
Install anti-virus before connecting to the Internet.

You should find emachines tel no. on their website.

UPDATE - I opened up the pc again and saw that there were 3 jumper cofigurations.

left- cable select
middle-slave
right-master

The jumper is set to left(cable select). What does cable select mean? Is this normal because device manager recognises it as master on secondary ide channel?

One thing i forgot to mention is that before this prob started, the computer showed a black screen with a load of writing on it and at the bottom it always said "boot from disk" (or something like that) and then moved on and started windows.

that doesn't happen anymore. Does this mean that it isnt recognising the drive on startup?

cable select is the old fashioned way of letting the cable decide which is your primary and which is your slave drive.

It's much better to force the drives. Pick one for your primary - almost always your cd/dvd drive and have your secondary - a zip/ second cd drive as your slave. Then adjust the jumpers on each to pick it.

cyber_hunter said:

One thing i forgot to mention is that before this prob started, the computer showed a black screen with a load of writing on it and at the bottom it always said "boot from disk" (or something like that) and then moved on and started windows.

that doesn't happen anymore. Does this mean that it isnt recognising the drive on startup?

Possibly you had a bootable CD in the drive.

Ummm..

:suspiciou :suspiciou :suspiciou INCD is a software for CDRWs,like Creative,they provide u with INCD.Creative's Incd causes your drive to every time show 0MB of space :suspiciou

what u should do?

hi,

i have also experienced this kind of problems. I download new firmware and install it. then the drive works again. :) :slurp:

After all the methods are failed, then u should contact the manufacturer support and check it out...

with regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back