CD Projekt's 'GOG Galaxy 2.0' client will bring all of your PC games, achievements, and...

Polycount

Staff

As the video game digital distribution market becomes increasingly populated, it's becoming harder for all but the biggest platforms to consistently stand out. Indeed, services like the Epic Games Store and Steam have been getting the vast majority of the press as of late (not always for the best of reasons).

However, that's changing somewhat now -- to reignite interest in its own digital distribution platform, well-known video game publisher CD Projekt (not to be confused with the developer, CD Projekt Red) has unveiled a massive overhaul of its DRM-free Good Old Games (GOG) Galaxy gaming client, aptly named GOG Galaxy 2.0.

For the unaware, GOG Galaxy is an optional tool for anybody who wants to access their web-based GOG Galaxy library in a more convenient format -- the games are still DRM-free, but Galaxy also gives you access to achievements, friends chat, automatic updates, and even version control (which lets you revert to older updates if new ones break your game).

GOG Galaxy 2.0 doesn't do anything to mess with that basic formula; it's clearly worked pretty well for CD Projekt so far. Instead, 2.0 expands upon it dramatically, adding a host of new features and giving the entire client a massive visual facelift (see examples of that throughout this article). Perhaps the most important new feature with Galaxy 2.0 is the unified library functionality.

As the GOG team writes in its official announcement, Galaxy 2.0 lets you "Import all your games from PC and consoles, [then] build and organize them into one master collection." Even better, once you've done so, you can launch any PC game you own from Galaxy 2.0 no matter the platform you run it on.

Galaxy 2.0 will synchronize your achievements, hours played, and more into one location, while also allowing you to filter, sort, tag, and customize each game's listing with unique backgrounds or covers.

The synchronization doesn't stop there, either. Galaxy 2.0 will also bring all of your friends together into one platform, letting you chat with them in one place while also seeing their cross-platform achievements, game milestones, recently played games, and even their online status.

In true GOG fashion, your privacy will also be preserved. Galaxy 2.0 doesn't spy on you, and whatever data it does collect -- the bare necessities needed for the client to function -- are not shared with any third parties. If you ever decide you don't want to use Galaxy 2.0's sync features, you can remove imported games and friends data from GOG's servers with "a single click."

If you want to be the first to give GOG Galaxy's latest incarnation a shot, you can sign up for the closed beta right now, provided you have a GOG account (you don't need to have the current version of Galaxy installed). GOG has not told us when they intend to roll the client out to the general public.

Permalink to story.

Oh nice. The switzerland of game launchers. Presumably for Steam it just fires up the Steam client with a CLI modifier to run the game in question? Can they also automate the Steam update process though?

Sooooooooooooo I wanted to play Saboteur ( pretty sure it was that game) without internet one night. GOG wouldn't let me run the game! Is this normal? This was like last week or so.

Also anyone notice when you exit GOG their PROCESS is still running in TASK MANAGER? Get's annoying.

Love GOG! Will not use the Galaxy client. Ever.

What's the other option?
You can download your games directly from GOG's website. There's no need to use the Galaxy client at all, it's purely optional. All GOG games are DRM-free. You can get the installer from the website, copy paste it across 50 different PCs (I'm not supporting this practice, simply illustrating the point), and play offline as much as you want.

The client looks good. I'd much rather have GoG then EPIC, that's for sure.
Agreed. Looking forward to trying this out in the near future. This seems to fit my wish for a 'games manager'.

Yeah, I love GOG and Galaxy, and this seems like a fantastic evolution. Visually pretty, but also very functional. I love the idea of being able to run all my games from one place.

Unfortunately, we will probably still need to actually have Origin/Uplay/ETC. open for whatever games we have from those companies (unless they can be run offline), but most of my games are on either GOG or Steam, so I think I'm mostly in the clear - those are the only two clients I have running at any given time anyway.

You can download your games directly from GOG's website. There's no need to use the Galaxy client at all, it's purely optional. All GOG games are DRM-free. You can get the installer from the website, copy paste it across 50 different PCs (I'm not supporting this practice, simply illustrating the point), and play offline as much as you want.

Thanks! It was confusing I remember being on their website and they had like 3 different installers. Maybe because it was a late night and I didn't read it correctly. I always thought you had to instead some sort of GOG software to be able to download the games. I will try it out thanks!

Will I lose my saves because I think they are stored in their cloud.

Thanks! It was confusing I remember being on their website and they had like 3 different installers. Maybe because it was a late night and I didn't read it correctly. I always thought you had to instead some sort of GOG software to be able to download the games. I will try it out thanks!

Will I lose my saves because I think they are stored in their cloud.

The saves thing is tricky. If the saves were stored in the same folder as your game, then they are probably no longer on your system if said game isn't installed. However, if they are located in your Documents folder (as they often are) or AppData, they are probably still there, and you might not need to worry about cloud saves at all. Either they will just work out-of-the-box when you install the game from the website, or you can just copy-paste them into the appropriate directory.

As for the multiple installer thing, some particularly big games do have a lot of installer parts on GoG. You just need to place them in the same folder when you run them. I think (could be wrong) the reason there's so many is because browser download buffers don't have enough space for massive files (I think the max is a few GB in most cases).

It's definitely easy to get confused, but glad I could help. Let me know if you have any other questions.

I don't use Galaxy and have "offline installers" (their term) for all my GOG games and it seems that nothing is stored in the cloud. If I go to another machine, it's an entirely separate game instance. I assume if you switch from Galaxy/cloud to local, you also lose your current game saves. Maybe they have a mechanism to transfer them…?

Sooooooooooooo I wanted to play Saboteur ( pretty sure it was that game) without internet one night. GOG wouldn't let me run the game! Is this normal? This was like last week or so.

Also anyone notice when you exit GOG their PROCESS is still running in TASK MANAGER? Get's annoying.

Man I loved that game when it came out. The black and white and red until an area was cleared, the whole french resistance against the germans, it was just an epic game. I think it was kind of the beginning or at least early days of the whole open world "clear a zone to take it over" formula far cry has ran with ever sense.

Back