Cd-rw Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

imfamousQ

Hi Guys,

This is an urgent problem that I am currently having.
I put in Windows XP CD in my computer and it's supposed to pop out with asking me if I want to format, recover.. etc. But it doesn't do that and when I went on computers and clicked on the CD rom drive it shows that there are files in there. However, it doesn't automatically come out. Also, it doesn't let me burn a CD. It says there are no CD inside. It can read the files inside CD except it won't automatically boot. And it can't burn any files it just says I don't have the CD inside.

HELP!!!!

Check the Device Manager and see if the channel the optical drive is connected to has changed from DMA to PIO mode. Look under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

Regarding the CD boot issue, is the BIOS set to boot from the CD drive? Place it first in the boot order for the purposes of reformating/repairing Windows. You can change it back later.

What software are you using to burn CD's, by the way?

I'm using Nero and windows XP's Roxio.
However, I am not in position of format right now is there any other way to fix it?

I wasn't suggesting that you reformat. I thought that's what you were already trying to do. I was trying to help you to do it.

What is your real objective? Do you just want to burn CD's? I suggest you uninstall both burning programs and reinstall just one. If you still have trouble, try deleting the upper and lower filters in the registry.

??

Hey,

Oh man I want to burn CD's. The main one that you can burn CD's with Windows XP. That doesn't work. It seems my computer can't detect if my blank CD is in my computer or not because it says it can't burn because there isn't CD inside it.

Go to device manager and Uninstall the IDE channel the drive is on and reboot. it sounds like a windows file system problem. letting windows reinstall the IDE channel and drive on reboot often fixes the problem.

..?

IDE? umm could you explainn to me? I know how to get on device manager and stuff but how do you uninstall it?

you will find it in device manager under IDE ATA|ATAPI Controllers. the drive should be on the secondary channel, right click on the secondary channel and choose uninstall. then reboot. windows will reinstall the ide channel and the drive on boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back