Check out Steam's top-selling and most-popular games of 2020

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? It's that time of year again when Valve looks back at the top games from the last 12 months. Yes, Steam's Best of 2020 lists are here, revealing the platform's best sellers, popular new releases, and most-played titles, among others.

As usual, Valve doesn't list the games in order; instead, it places them into Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze groups. Interestingly, most of the Platinum Games—barring those in the New Releases category, obviously—launched before 2020.

In the Top Sellers section, where games are measured by gross revenue (including in-game purchases), it's no surprise to see Cyberpunk 2077, DOTA 2, Counter-Strike: GO, and GTA V.

Among Us and Fall Guys also made a boatload of cash this year, the latter of which is one of only three games on the list to arrive in 2020—the others being Cyberpunk 2077 and Doom Eternal.

Steam's top sellers of 2020 by gross revenue:

• Dota 2
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  • Doom Eternal
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Rainbow Six: Siege
  • Destiny 2
  • Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Among Us

The Most Played category mirrors much of the Top Sellers list. Eleven games reached a peak of over 200,000 concurrent players in 2020, including Cyberpunk 2077, which beat Fallout 4's 'single-player experience' record when it passed the one-million concurrent players milestone earlier this month.

The first episode of Life is Strange 2 makes a somewhat surprising entry; no doubt helped by it becoming free-to-play back in September.

Steam's most-played games of 2020:

• Dota 2
  • Among Us
  • Terraria
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Life is Strange 2
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  • Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord
  • Destiny 2
  • Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
  • Grand Theft Auto V

When it comes to top-grossing new releases, Cyberpunk 2077 is an obvious entry, having sold over 13 million copies during its first ten days following launch. Elsewhere, it appears Microsoft Flight Simulator being a Game Pass title never stopped it from performing well on Steam, neither did Marvel Avenger's lukewarm reviews. VR-only Half-Life Alyx was also one of the best sellers released this year, as was Baldur's Gate 3, which remains in Early Access.

Permalink to story.

Yep, games like CS:GO prove that it's not about the visuals, it's about the game play. And DOTA, Terraria, Among Us... Being able to play it on a potato helps, too.

Yep, games like CS:GO prove that it's not about the visuals, it's about the game play. And DOTA, Terraria, Among Us... Being able to play it on a potato helps, too.
Gameplay is much harder to make than visuals. And I don't mean disrespect to madly talented graphic artists out there. Gameplay is a term to describe something you feel more than see. And yes, people who work on visuals in games usually don't posses the skill to do the same great work they do with graphics.
I sank thousands of hours in games that were far far from perfect visually.
And the market for games like that is always there. Too bad, big companies for the most part forgot or stopped caring about gameplay...

Gamplay is king. I used to play Urban Terror, a game made on Quake Arena engine, low-res textures, but gameplay was amazing. Quick in, quick out. No need to pile up "experience points" or whatever crap, to play online you'd just join a server (no need to open even an account, no need for a social network account), it was just easy to play. And still probably is, I'll have to check one day.

Users want simplicity. Gaming corporations, on the other hand, want to spy on their users and collect all the data they can and squeeze out all the money they can. And this usually creates complications for the users.

One of the reasons I hate Steam and other "helper services" that take the liberty to load themselves at computer startup without asking. Sure, you can turn them off, but..... why are they even loaded in RAM at startup? If I want to play, I can click on the desktop icon to play. Same thing for me whether I click a desktop icon, or a tray-bar icon.

But not the same thing for them. With their crapware loaded from the start, they theoretically own the user's computer. Like a beautiful troyan that user installed himself.

Agreed. Some of my favorite games to play are from the Close Combat Series, which are far from the modern stunning visuals.

Gameplay is much harder to make than visuals.
One thing I miss about '80s era games was that they relied entirely upon gameplay. No one bought a monochrome or CGA resolution game for its visuals.

If developers today would start by making their game interesting to play, then adding in the eye candy, we'd have far better ones to choose from.

Agree with most of posts, it was the reason I put in over 1000 hours on rocket league. great gameplay with a long learning curve. if a game feels great it doesn't matter what it looks like. on reverse, it makes me mad when people say games are good just because of the graphics when the gameplay is garbage. the first assassin's creed was like that for me or any naughty dog game.

Back