Check out the first Final Fantasy VII Remake trailer in more than three years

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Final Fantasy VII launched in early 1997 on Sony’s original PlayStation console. It was a seminal release and the first in the series to utilize full motion video and 3D graphics (albeit with 2D backgrounds). The game garnered multiple Game of the Year awards and was even inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame in 2018.

Sony in December of 2015 announced plans for an official remake of Final Fantasy VII. The Japanese gaming giant even published a teaser trailer although in the three and a half years that have since elapsed, we’ve heard nary a word about the title outside of job listings from developer Square Enix.

That changed this week with the launch of a new teaser trailer featuring development footage. Sony promises to share more information in June although considering the company isn’t attending E3, we won’t be looking for it at the show.

Final Fantasy VII fans too anxious to wait until next month are invited to check out the Remako HD Graphics Mod released earlier this year. The mod’s creator, CaptRobau, utilized AI neural networks to boost the resolution of the background images in the game by a factor of four. As you can see from the comparison trailer, the results are quite stunning.

Permalink to story.

Looks amazing! combat, graphics, all of it is going to be great. Really digging that battle theme as well

Well this looks terrible so far.

The voice acting sounds like a 1990s anime dub. For the few lines that were read, I didn't feel any genuine emotion coming through. Cloud's voice actor doesn't fit the part of being x-military. I'm fine with the clear "teeny" sound they are going with but he needs to speed with a little more heft as his lines in the original FF implied.

In addition, that combat system. If it's anything like FFXV, then it's going to be nothing special. The tales games do a far better job in the action RPG genre with a strikingly similar yet far better combat system. They should have just stuck to what they do good instead of being mediocre in something else. I hope for their sake they actually do a good job with the action based combat system and it's not just a mindless hack and slash.

Well this looks terrible so far.

The voice acting sounds like a 1990s anime dub. For the few lines that were read, I didn't feel any genuine emotion coming through. Cloud's voice actor doesn't fit the part of being x-military. I'm fine with the clear "teeny" sound they are going with but he needs to speed with a little more heft as his lines in the original FF implied.

In addition, that combat system. If it's anything like FFXV, then it's going to be nothing special. The tales games do a far better job in the action RPG genre with a strikingly similar yet far better combat system. They should have just stuck to what they do good instead of being mediocre in something else. I hope for their sake they actually do a good job with the action based combat system and it's not just a mindless hack and slash.
I don't know. I loved this trailer and the voice acting looks good so far. We'll see when it comes out just how good it is.

Back