Cheklist for WiFi Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

Interference

* Checklist of possible interference sources:
o Microwave oven
o 2.4 Ghz video or security camera link (X10).
o Municipal wireless network.
o Bluetooth devices (mouse, phone, PDA, headset, cell phone, etc.)
o Portable wireless TV camera used at sports events.
o Spread spectrum Frequency hopping cordless phones (e.g., Panasonic Gigarange)
Note: 2.4 GHz phones are not an issue in the UK(Eur), as DECT phones operate from 1.88 GHz to 1.9 GHz.
o Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11b/g) wireless keyboard, PDA, and/or cell phone.
o 2.4 GHz wireless gamepad and/or controller.
o RF Excited Lighting (e.g., Fusion Lighting).
See Part 18 RF Lighting, A Potential "Extinction Level Event" For Communications Users Of The 2.4 GHz Band
o 2.4 GHz wireless baby monitor.
o 2.4 GHz ham radio operation.
o WISP (Wireless Internet Service Providers which may be using non-Wi-Fi type of modulation (e.g., WiMAX).
o Breezecom/Alvarion/Symbol/Raylink spread spectrum frequency hopping networks.
o Western Multiplex or Proxim non-Wi-Fi wireless links (e.g., Lynx).
o HomeRF spread spectrum frequency hopping network.
o ZigBee IEEE 802.15.4 sensor wireless network.
o Microwave fruit drying oven, plastic mold preheater.
o Unstable high power Wi-Fi power amplifier spewing RF "garbage".

If you can change the wireless channels on these devices you have listed above everything should work correctly. That's what I do. Don't use the same wireless channel that the local town wireless is using. Also if you have two or more WAP in your dwell set the wireless channel to auto don't assign the channel. Make sure homes next to are not using the same wireless channel also.

Switch to wireless phones rated at 5.8Ghz DSS instead of 2.4Ghz DSS. If you really wanted to play it safe get 900MHz phones. Again if you can get 900MHz devices use those.

I tried to set up my Linksys WAP54G v.2 Wireless G Access Point to communicate with my wifes computer using WAP channel 11. This configuration drops often. When I use WEP the connection stays good. Why is this happening? My wife's system is using a PCI Linksys Wireless adapter

Try changing the channel to 1. Your access point configure is a bit different.

WEP is the encyption mode.. Do you use HEX or ASCII
Channel default is 11, but if everyone where you live is using 11, then use 1.

Thanks Tipster,
The WEP encription is in HEX... Our next door neighbor has an unsecured Wireless network on channel 11, and we can connect to this easily. I have disabled this unsecured network in my profiles.

What are the different types of WAP encription? I have seen WAP.itx or something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back