China: Google will face consequences over uncensored search results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

A top Chinese Internet regulator has warned Google that it will face "consequences" if it follows through with plans to stop censoring search results in the country. After discovering a series of a China-based cyber attacks, Google pledged to end censorship in the country, and even threatened to shut down Google.cn.

Google and China have since been in talks, discussing the search company's future. At a press conference today, Li Yizhong, Minister of Industry and Information Technology said that he hopes "Google can respect Chinese rules and regulations." Yizhong said that violating Chinese laws is irresponsible, and said those who do are "unfriendly" and "will have to bear the consequences."

Google CEO Eric Schmidt said Wednesday that he expects to reach a conclusion soon. People close to the situation say the company could stop censoring Google.cn within weeks, but isn't likely to withdraw from the country entirely. Likewise, analysts say China is unlikely to allow unfiltered search results, so a resolution to the standoff should be interesting.

Permalink to story.

Google seems to be poking a sleeping giant. What does face consequences mean? I am afraid for the people at Google. China has the power to do what? too Google. I don't get that.

First shutting down Google, then the takeover of Taiwan. I think they're looking for reasons to be aggressive. They know the United States is weak at the moment and that they carry a lot of our debt.

I wonder why Google is putting up with these restrictions and censorship by the Chinese. In a way, they are abetting China's determination to restrict democracy.

It's hard to mix Companies with Political matters, so it sounds tough when both sides won't yield.

I think it's great to finally have a company that stands for things, rather than only profit. hopefully, people will get the message and stop obsessing so much over their damned money.

First shutting down Google, then the takeover of Taiwan. I think they're looking for reasons to be aggressive. They know the United States is weak at the moment and that they carry a lot of our debt.
Tell me about it. GM was forced to sell Hummer to China...! I don't really care for the idea that we would have to buy our "engines of war" from our enemies.

I wouldn't be too worry with what is going on with China vs Google. Take a look at what the people in your own governments are doing to strip away your own freedoms online and offline.

China is a gigantore market so I wonder why Google hasn't bent over backwards. Maybe because it's Google? For all I care they could tell china what's what and be done with it but I reckon things are that uncomplicated. Sheesh!

I sure wish I lived somewhere I didn't have any freedom...

Google should give those commies the finger and move on to the rest of the free world.

Then again that would hurt the innocent people in the country. Also how does china talk about respect when they condone cyber terrorism?

Last year I went to China. Before Team Google showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

lol! i think google should leave china and concentrate on rest of the world! i dont know why the chinese government is banning it! people have become more matured nowadays!

Wendig0 said:
Last year I went to China. Before Team Google showed up, it was a happy place. They had flowery meadows and rainbow skies, and rivers made of chocolate, where the children danced and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles.

LOL, Oops! sorry this is a serious matter.

I think we must let the chinese (people) decide of what they want, oh no i forgot, can they !!?

Google is a big company that has my respect, but sometimes i think it's better to stay off mined fields & check out later when all is clear.

cheers!

Yeah I don't wonder what the consequences are. Would it be penalty? Maybe since Google cannot be banned. It has helped a lot of people (in many different ways) for the past years so I think lots of people will support Google. What I know is that Google searches can be customize as whether to include adult searches or not that's why it must have been the responsibility of the person who searches in the internet. But I'm not judging already so I would look for more updates soon.

riun355 said:
I think it's great to finally have a company that stands for things, rather than only profit. hopefully, people will get the message and stop obsessing so much over their damned money.

Lol, do you really think that is Google's motive? Last time I checked, they are still a listed company and they have an obligation to put profits first. My guess would be that their revenues from China are pretty weak and they're trying to keep up a good image, instead of people criticising them on their privacy and personal data issues.

China. Selling us cheap goods which show up everywhere from WalMart to eBay is building a new economy which benefits a few people making up their new wealthy society on the back of cheap labor.

We are guilty of allowing this to happen. We have exported manufacturing to them and became a "service" economy. Most everyone has a lawn care business here now...they once had a real job that paid the increasing cost of living.

If I were to guess the consequences China threatens Google with, I'd be looking at China backed hacking meant to severely cripple the internet service. But why stop there? Once they do this, what's to stop them from really hurting our communications. We'll be back to 19th century technology.

There is still a cold war on people.

Wendig0 said:

Lol, google is a big brother, monitor everyting and everywhere.

The reality is China has the dreaded clutch of death on America's balls.

China. Selling us cheap goods which show up everywhere from WalMart to eBay is building a new economy which benefits a few people making up their new wealthy society on the back of cheap labor.

The reality is China has the dreaded clutch of death on America's balls.

To first point, I dont remember where I read that study, but it was either in newsweek or portfolio (i'm unsure because its a while since then); anyway, according to that research article about 600 billion dollars are being siphoned away from middle class/poor americans to filthy rich in america; so your argument doesn't make any sense at all.

And to Guest's comment, it is bloody true, but problem is americans are digging a pretty big deep S*** hole for themselves, I do not see american economy staying as top dog for long, mostly because life from its real economy is being stiffled out by the socalled 'financial economy' which is nothing but pile of worthless papers, which we all learned the hard way in last couple of years, yet we refuse to learn the lessons. Another dimension to this can be, most empires have their time at top while at peak of their financial and military power, i guess for americans the first of these is behind them now.

To first point, I dont remember where I read that study, but it was either in newsweek or portfolio (i'm unsure because its a while since then); anyway, according to that research article about 600 billion dollars are being siphoned away from middle class/poor americans to filthy rich in america; so your argument doesn't make any sense at all.
Look up "private equity investment"

And to Guest's comment, it is bloody true, but problem is americans are digging a pretty big deep S*** hole for themselves, I do not see american economy staying as top dog for long, mostly because life from its real economy is being stiffled out by the socalled 'financial economy' which is nothing but pile of worthless papers, which we all learned the hard way in last couple of years, yet we refuse to learn the lessons. Another dimension to this can be, most empires have their time at top while at peak of their financial and military power, i guess for americans the first of these is behind them now.
America is on its way out for this reason; Americans believe that all you have to do is buy s*** and collect public entitlements to even have an economy. We don't make anything, we don't dig anything up, and we don't grow enough to balance a staggering trade deficit.

I hear a lot of BS as to how we've moved to a "post industrial society", or a "service based economy. Follow my little tale about how money is earned and changes hands in one sector of that illusory "service based economy". Medical care is a service, and nurses are service providers, so then; nurse "A" wipes patient "B's" bum, who has received his medical insurance from public entitlement, he then gets out of the hospital and spends his welfare check on drugs, at which point the money is funneled back into the system with the purchase of subwoofers and rims, many of which were made in China, so from there it's bye, bye imaginary paper. And then the government has to pay (rather owe) China money for someone that they gave the money to in the first place.

Money, no longer on any exchange for precious metal standard, is therefore only of it's value as "currency". But, in order for it to retain any value whatsoever, it therefore must be the "avatar" of commodity. Since no commodity other than drugs was even on the radar in this scenario, and drug exchanges can only be described as "money laundering", the money has no value, it's just paper.

If this were only limited to the small scenario I've described, we wouldn't even have a problem. It starts with our government printing vast quantities of "money" as an "economic stimulus", then giving it to people as if it's real in the first place. At least as much as private equity, politicians, and lobbyists aren't able to funnel off.

The "upside" of this is that the money had no real value in the first place. Since "deficit" is an imaginary "IUO" from the government to itself, who after all just printed it.

I always thought that you couldn't owe for something that didn't exist in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back