China starts drilling a 6.2-mile-deep borehole into the Earth's crust

midian182

Staff member
In brief: China has started drilling a hole 10,000 meters (32,808 feet, or just over six miles) into the Earth's crust to carry out scientific exploration. The borehole, which will be the country's deepest, is located in the oil-rich Xinjiang region.

China's Xinhua News Agency reports that the project "represents a landmark in China's deep Earth exploration, providing an unprecedented opportunity to study areas of the planet deep beneath the surface."

Bloomberg writes that the narrow shaft will penetrate more than ten continental strata, or layers of rock, and reach beyond the cretaceous system in the Earth's crust, which contains rock that's 145 million years old.

According to the report, scientists will use the hole to unearth energy resources and rich minerals while studying the deep composition of the Earth. It will also be utilized to evaluate the risks of environmental disasters, such as earthquakes and volcano eruptions. China National Petroleum Corp., which is spearheading the project, says it will be used to test deep underground drilling technologies, too.

The 2,000-tonne drill has a design depth of 11,100 meters. The drilling is expected to take 457 days.

Firstpost writes that the borehole is being dug in the Tarim Basin, a vast depression drained by the Tarim River. At the center of the basin is the Taklimakan Desert, which spans over 212,000 square miles, making it the largest in China. The borehole is located in the hinterland of this desert. The "harsh ground environment and complicated underground conditions" will ensure the project is a challenging one.

"The construction difficulty of the drilling project can be compared to a big truck driving on two thin steel cables," said Sun Jinsheng, a scientist at the Chinese Academy of Engineering.

In a speech to the country's top scientists in 2021, Chinese President Xi Jinping called for greater progress in deep Earth exploration.

While the borehole will be the deepest in China, it won't hold the world record. That is held by the Russian Kola Superdeep Borehole, which, after 20 years of drilling, reached a depth of 12,262 meters (40,230 feet, or 7.6 miles) in 1989. Work had to be stopped in 1992 when the temperature reached 356F, double what was expected at that depth. The facility was shut down three years later.

Permalink to story.

LOL, they are treating Earth like a giant egg. Once they get down far enough, they will crack it open and the core will leak out. ;)

That region sounded familiar. Yup... Home of Uyghurs. I guess there you have it China wanted to get a minority out of the way for oil exploration and organ harvesting. Can't let minority Muslims benefit. Too bad the Chinese don't have the balls to take their land back from Russia.

That region sounded familiar. Yup... Home of Uyghurs. I guess there you have it China wanted to get a minority out of the way for oil exploration and organ harvesting. Can't let minority Muslims benefit. Too bad the Chinese don't have the balls to take their land back from Russia.

They might now that Russia is kinda looking all Fail. It's long dragged out mind. I am wondering why no one hasn't joined in as such. Is it no one wants it to expand other than Russia. Their TV and some of their more *****ic brainwashed populous seem to want more.

But then is that just the propaganda from my country telling me that's whats been said, I don't know anyone they interview, so could be some randoms off a street in the UK just paid to say stupid things for media points.

China though do seem sketchy. But so are koreans, they eat puppies, and thats just weird. Here dogs eat people.

Aliens hate it when we drill that deep. Forces them to relocate their facilities even deeper, which makes the operational costs even higher. There are much cheaper planets than this one.

Russia has always supported the Abiotic oil theory, which says that petroleum is naturally formed deep in the earth. That's partly why they drilled the Kola Borehole, to see what's down there. China probably follows the Abiotic viewpoint also.

Should be interesting to see what they find.

That is something I am interested in as a history fan. Those parts were not acquired from China, they were the most treacherously annexed in the times when China was very weak.
And yes, with China getting so powerful while Russia is losing grip, it would be very interesting to see what will happen to those historically Chinese lands.

Back