China to crackdown on counterfeit software, movies

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

It seems China's fed up with being known as the world's largest peddler of bootleg merchandise. Hoping to clean up its image, the country has launched an initiative to thwart the rampant sale of phony products. During a State Council meeting, Chinese officials outlined a "campaign to fight intellectual property rights infringement and the manufacture and sale of counterfeit goods."

Expected to start at the end of this month, the six-month-long campaign will target pirated software, movies, publications, designs, and other copyright violations. China vows to "mete out stern punishment to business involved in the import and export of such goods," and to set positive example, Chinese government agencies have been ordered to use only authorized, legitimate software.

China's counterfeit industry employs millions of people on the production, distribution and retail levels -- a number that won't be easy to dent according to Christian Murck of the American Chamber of Commerce in China. Murck notes that piracy is a globalized industry and "there are typically multiple parties involved, so if you close down one piece, you don't necessarily disrupt the chain."

China has attempted to crackdown on pirated sales in the past, albeit with limited success. The country restricts consumers' access to foreign movies, often forcing them to seek illegal sources. Murck believes it might help if that policy was relaxed. He adds that both penalties and the odds of being caught infringing intellectual property rights are still too low to deter most people.

Permalink to story.

This is a lost cause. I think this is nothing more than an attempt by China to pacify western media and software distributors who are screaming foul - and have been for years. I know several co-workers who routinely travel to China as a part of business. They describe to me huge markets that are the size of several city blocks filled with nothing but vendors selling pirated movies, music and software. And these markets are literally in every city, village and town they visit.

One guy told me after returning from Shanghai that from the thousands of street vendors selling this type of media, he felt that probably 5% or less were legitimate copies.

Seriously - how are you going to make a dent in something that entrenched?

In other news, American officials are going to crack down on people eating fatty foods.

You mean to tell me my versions of "Avatal", "Ilonman 2" and my "Gree" season 1 DVDs aren't authentic?

In other news, American officials are going to crack down on people eating fatty foods.

I suspect you think that just because I made a derogatory comment about China's government that somehow insinuates that America's government is not intrusive. Quite the contrary JMMD, I posted on TS two years ago that i thought the "cholesterol id card" was coming.

I would not be surprised if all these factories making iPads and phones have an extra assembly line for making the identical item, sans logo, for internal sales on the side.

But I guess when one day China is actually making IP of its own they'll get bit in the ***.

Such abuses have caused businesses to lose billions at the expense of piracy, while consumers have been put at risk by unknowingly using shoddy counterfeit goods, Holder said.

I have a hard time seeing how a communist country like China would give a damn about the profits of companies in capitalist countries like the USA.
Pushing the political point from outside seems like a harder line then assisting China's movie producers to put pressure on the government. You'd think they'd learn this lesson already with the way they've got other countries to reform, ie. Sweden, Canada.

It's China. Do you really believe that the government isn't involved. It wouldn't happen on this scale without at least the tacit approval of the govt. Now if we can get them and iran to stop counterfeiting us currency.

I suspect you think that just because I made a derogatory comment about China's government that somehow insinuates that America's government is not intrusive. Quite the contrary JMMD, I posted on TS two years ago that i thought the "cholesterol id card" was coming.

Actually, it was just a joke about how hard it will be to combat the problem. Wasn't directed at your comment at all.

Ahh, China... With the current population at 1.3 billion people, I find this as much of a waste of time as me trying to teach differential equations to my dog.

(Don't ask if I have actually tried that.)

I guess its better than doing nothing, but not by much. Its admirable and something does need to be done, but it kinda reminds me of the war on drugs by the US government, all it really did was force the drug dealers to come up with smarter ways to distribute their products. that being said a difference was made

They already have! Well, in a very limited sort of way. And I'm not sure if it's just in PA. All restaurants must now publish the calorie content of every item on their menu..! Well, it's not much of a crackdown, and it probably benefits the merchants more than the patrons, since the patrons can no longer play stupid, by claiming they had no idea how huge that garbage will make your a**.

Now, you're told right up front, how fat you'll get, and how soon you're likely to die from it..!!

This is probably similar to the approach the Chinese Government will take, tack up a couple of notices.

Beyond that, they'll probably vet the product through Hong Kong, and blame it on the lingering British influence.

@Capt; hello :)

By the way, I remember reading somewhere that airlines in US (and some other countries) are going to charge 'double' rate from 'fat' passengers? (I don't remember where I read it, but I think probability is it was on BBC). So if it is true, it is a sort of 'crackdown' on fatty foods, but indirectly ;)

High Alpha Departure.....

Hi Arch....

That said, the US government doesn't really have a stake in, or mandate the emerging "two seats for one big a**"", private air carrier trend.

The NTSB would however, investigate any tail strike accidents, which might occur from putting all the fat people in the back of the plane, then over rotating on take off.

captaincranky said:

The NTSB would however, investigate any tail strike accidents, which might occur from putting all the fat people in the back of the plane, then over rotating on take off.

I can only imagine, how the new passenger safety manuals would illustrate the possible plane accidents, and the ways to survive them.

"If a tail strike occurs, roll the 200+ pound people over to the pilot's cabin, as if they were dices. This will keep the balance."

Hey, at least people will get to see first class.

Suggested recovery method is case of tail strike due to a "rearward center of gravity"

"Push a bit of down elevator into the yoke, if this doesn't work, and the tail down condition persists, have the fat people in back remove their seat belts, then slam on the brakes".

I'm going to be branded a "fatist" for this outburst, aren't I? Oh,well. :rolleyes:

captaincranky said:
Suggested recovery method is case of tail strike due to a "rearward center of gravity"

"Push a bit of down elevator into the yoke, if this doesn't work, and the tail down condition persists, have the fat people in back remove their seat belts, then slam on the brakes".

I'm going to be branded a "fatist" for this aren't I? Oh,well. :rolleyes:

"slam on the brakes"...! Lol, that was hilarious.

Although I am no expert on aviation, but I don't think 'air-brakes' works like the normal road vehicle brakes ..... the fat ones will stay where they are, unless off-course the plane at the same instance of time hits an air-pocket which causes it to nose dive for about 2000 feet.

This being an IT/Computer related site / forum, I'd rather suggest to invite him to solve P vs. NP as well once he is done with Fibonacci series (I hope he is not referring to retracement ;) ); as it is very important open question which will have far reaching impact in fields like cryptography as well; plus side would be if he do come up with 'provable' solution, you'll get 1 million dollars you could spend e.g. on your next computer. :grinthumb

Although I am no expert on aviation, but I don't think 'air-brakes' works like the normal road vehicle brakes ..... the fat ones will stay where they are, unless off-course the plane at the same instance of time hits an air-pocket which causes it to nose dive for about 2000 feet.
Oh dear, you missed the entire joke. Or maybe you didn't, and are making one of your own.

That said, I'll explain anyway. A "tail strike" can only occur at take off, (or landing), when too severe of a positive pitch angle, (commonly called "alpha"), causes the rear of the aircraft to contact the ground.
Commercial jetliners commonly lift off at approximately 125>>Kts, (MPH X 1.2 = Kts.).

A far rearward GC, causes excessive sensitivity in the elevators, thus causing the potential of over control when activated, as they must be, when "rotating" the aircraft.toward lift off. The too high AA (angle of attack) then causes the wing to stall, (stop "flying"), and the aircraft remains grounded, still traveling at a very high rate of speed! (Please note that in the tail "dragging" position, the main gear of the aircraft are still in contact with the ground). Accordingly, the main gear brakes would still be serviceable.

So, the application of down elevator, would tentatively cause the tail to rotate upward. the main brakes would still be working, and slamming on the ground brakes, would cause fat people without seat belts to fly to the forward part of the cabin, thereby averting a disaster, except to those individuals in the front that they landed on.

Thank you very much for attending this short discourse on very basic aerodynamics.

Are the Chinese making counterfeit jetliners? Because if they are, they should crack down on that too...! (return to topic):rolleyes:

I have to say that our Governments history isn't that great!

Back