Choosing a 22 inch monitor for my mother

Status
Not open for further replies.

14 of a hotdog

I need to order my mother a 22 inch monitor but I'm not sure which one to order. I would prefer to order it from newegg but if their is a good deal on one somewhere else tell me! It will have to be connected by d sub not dvi so I'm not sure if image quality is a very big deal. She will use it for browsing and 2d games such as zuma and bejeweled as well as browsing but her ancient pc only has integrated graphics so will it handle it fine?

I was thinking that these ones looked good but I'm not sure which will be most reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16824236078,N82E16824009174,N82E16824009145

Edit: Ahh yes of coarse I forgot to mention the budget, 150 to 170 would be ideal.

I need to order my mother a 22 inch monitor but I'm not sure which one to order. I would prefer to order it from newegg but if their is a good deal on one somewhere else tell me! It will have to be connected by d sub not dvi so I'm not sure if image quality is a very big deal. She will use it for browsing and 2d games such as zuma and bejeweled as well as browsing but her ancient pc only has integrated graphics so will it handle it fine?
Edit: Ahh yes of coarse I forgot to mention the budget, 150 to 170 would be ideal.

First, any recent integrated graphics chip should be able to deliver up to 1920 X 1200. I say this in reference to my own Intel integrated GMA915 graphics in a 5 year old Emachine. If the computer we're speaking about is 10 years old then you better check closer.

A simple way to find out what resolutions are available is to simply hook up a borrowed 22" screen and see how the computer detects it. A simple, "try it before you buy it" shortcut

At present, there are two different resolutions prevalent in 22" and 23" monitors; 1680 X 1050 which is a computer specific resolution solution and also 1920 X 1080. This resolution is designed to be compatible with all current Hi-def movie formats, and many of these units have HDCP compatibility.

I'm convinced that most of the new, inexpensive TN panel monitors come out of the same factory anyway, so I'll pass on an opinion about which is better. Your suggested budget is in keeping with most mid price panels nowadays. Some people like the Hanns-G offerings in low price screens also. I'm jus' sayin'. The sales prices rotate weekly, if not daily, so it could come down to what's on sale when the money's burning a hole in your pocket.

What kinda computer does she have exactly? And what's her highest res?

She has some kind of ancient wreaking ball that functions as a display, I think its called a CRT.

First, any recent integrated graphics chip should be able to deliver up to 1920 X 1200. I say this in reference to my own Intel integrated GMA915 graphics in a 5 year old Emachine. If the computer we're speaking about is 10 years old then you better check closer.

A simple way to find out what resolutions are available is to simply hook up a borrowed 22" screen and see how the computer detects it. A simple, "try it before you buy it" shortcut

At present, there are two different resolutions prevalent in 22" and 23" monitors; 1680 X 1050 which is a computer specific resolution solution and also 1920 X 1080. This resolution is designed to be compatible with all current Hi-def movie formats, and many of these units have HDCP compatibility.

I'm convinced that most of the new, inexpensive TN panel monitors come out of the same factory anyway, so I'll pass on an opinion about which is better. Your suggested budget is in keeping with most mid price panels nowadays. Some people like the Hanns-G offerings in low price screens also. I'm jus' sayin'. The sales prices rotate weekly, if not daily, so it could come down to what's on sale when the money's burning a hole in your pocket.

Ahhh, I cant believe I never thought of that, I tired mine on it and it worked fine! I guess after I replace my motherboard and ram in a few months I will have enough components to build her a new computer with low end gaming parts anyway, so worse case we will have to turn the resolution down if it has trouble with it.

My biggest concern was getting one that would die after a few weeks of usage but I guess I will just read their reviews and stop being so paranoid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back