Chrome 42 is out now, includes push notifications that can ping you even after you close the browser

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Chrome 42 has graduated to a stable release and is now available to download for Windows, Mac and Linux. In addition to the usual list of security fixes (45 in total) and under-the-hood changes for stability and performance, Google’s latest release includes its new Push API and Notifications API.

Together, these two new APIs allow websites to send notifications to web surfers even after they’ve closed or navigated away from said site. Obviously, there’s a fine line between being useful and obtrusive when dealing with notifications. Fortunately, Google mandates that developers must acquire consent for permission to use the Push API.

Once permission has been granted, developers are free to use Google Cloud Messaging to use a service worker to display said notification.

chrome google chrome browser push notifications chrome 42

As an example of how the new APIs could be used, imagine you’ve bid on something on eBay. Afterwards, you navigate away or close the browser window completely. If you are outbid on the item, you could get a notification on your desktop letting you know right away.

A number of the security fixes in Chrome 42 were found by security researchers through Google’s bounty program. Their awards (when applicable) are listed alongside the security fixes on the Chrome Release Blog if you want to check them out.

In the event your browser doesn’t automatically download and install Chrome 42 via the automatic update mechanism, you can snag the Windows version by clicking here (Mac and Linux versions here and here, respectively).

Permalink to story.

Clearly Chrome is google's first step to owning your ***.
Have you considered the possibility of not using it if you don't like it (wow)? Plus Spartan is stepping up the game when it comes and I guess all other browsers will massively improve by then

In the event you have automatic Chrome updates disabled, you can perform a manual update by... clicking the three horizontal lines (browser settings) to the right of your address bar, then click "About Google Chrome" and it will automatically scan for a new version. If found, the download will start and when it's finished, a "Relaunch" (browser) button will appear. Click that and your browser will close and reopen with the new update installed and ready to go. Voila!

Last edited:
In the event you have automatic Chrome updates disabled, you can perform a manual update by... clicking the three horizontal lines (browser settings) to the right of your address bar, then click "About Google Chrome" and it will automatically scan for a new version. If found, the download will start and when it's finished, a "Relaunch" (browser) button will appear. Click that and your browser will close and reopen with the new update installed and ready to go. Voila!
At first I thought you were just being sarcastic but upon further speculation I realized I'd be surprised how many people actually have no idea how to do it. Anyway auto update is enabled by default so that should reduce the number of users who don't know how to do it but would they even care?

Security and bug fixes are always good but I'll probably have no use for this new feature and it can't hurt to have it.

chrome://flags/#enable-npapi

This will buy you some time. But its going away in September for good.

There's a B I G difference between Java within a browser and applications implemented in Java. Java certainly has had a bumpy road to maturity (but no less than IE itself). I have several nice Apps on the laptop implemented in Java and they will not go away due to apathy or ignorance.

Back