classic cars

You could buy one of those 2005 Mustang GTRs for me <g>

LoL. I hope whoever dreamt of the mustang wagon and 4 door was fired on the spot.

i admire classics
so much ive got myself a nice old mustang..
66 fastback...pics to prove it .....but..someones gotta show interest

and cmon somekid...yankees....you ok?

Classic cars have their place, but it is only in our memories that they grow sweeter with age. In reality, they just suck compared to modern cars.

Cars that seemed magically cool in the 60s are are a bit different in the 90s. They still look cool, yes, but they're uncomfortable, unsafe, unreliable, dirty (exhaust-wise), and have terrible specific output (power per displacement), awful brakes (drum brakes--yuck!), horrible suspension (manages to get the worst characteristics of both underdamped AND overdamped suspension!), jello-like steering response, and wretched handling around turns.

In short, they suck on all front except one: They do make you look good when you're sitting in them. And that may be worth it.

I disagree. A classic car like a 1969 Corvette Stingray ZL1 in mint condition is a treat to drive. And it looks HOT!!!

It certainly looks hot. It may even be fun to drive (I haven't driven one, so I couldn't say). But I'll bet there are some modern cars that are more fun to drive for the same (or lower) price.

I'm going to take a semi-educated guess that the ZL1 originally sold for $10,000 in 1969. The equivalent amount of money today is about $53,000. What kind of sports coupe could we buy for $53,000? Let's find out.

We could get a Porsche Boxster S for about $53,000. However, Porsches are overpriced, and the Boxster S only has 280 HP. Let's look elsewhere.

We could get a BMW M3 for about $54,000. It has 333 HP, and handles like a dream. Still, we can do better.

We could get a Lotus Exige for about $51,000. It's only got 190 HP, but I guarantee it will be more fun to take to a track than any street car from the 60s. This car is reputed to have nearly telepathic handling.

We could get a Mercedez-Benz CLK coupe for about $54,000. It's got about 300 HP, and is luxurious as hell.

We could even get a modern Corvette for $45,000. The 2006 model has 400 HP and, thanks to tire and drivetrain advances made in the last 35 years, would beat the old Stingray on any track on the world. It gets 26 miles per gallon on the highway! You'd even have $8,000 left over to spring for a turbocharger/supercharger to widen the performance gap.

Now, I will admit that none of these are as cool as the old Stingray. They are, however, better cars.

Back