Clearing CMOS when changing CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techsprog

Hi All,
I am in the process of upgrading my CPU (Mobo Gigabyte GA-7VTX) and I have been told that I have to "clear CMOS" to get the new CPU to work. Can someone please explain to me, a novice, what this means and how and when I do it. I am upgrading from an AMD Athlon XP 1500 to a 2400. I am tempted to go to the local Computer Workshop but really I would prefer the satisfaction of doing it myself.

Grateful for any assistance/info.

Cheers.

Before clearing your cmos. I suggest swapping the cpu and seeing if you have any problems. Your bios may well recognise your new cpu without the need to clear the cmos.

Clearing the cmos is quite a simple procedure and there are two ways of doing it. Turn off your computer and unplug it from the mains.

1 There should be a clear cmos jumper on the mobo(see your mobo manual), which you move the jumper over to the next pins for a few minutes, then move it back again.

2 Take out the cmos battery for a few minutes, then replace it.

Either of the above, should reset your bios to the default settings. It might be a good idea to go into your bios first and make a note of the settings you currently have. That way, it`ll make it easier to reset things after you`ve cleared the cmos.

Regards Howard :)

If you have been overclocking or overvolting I would clear it. I know my A64 did not seem to notice a changed CPU, but my Intel rig had the message after POST "New CPU, press F1 to set defalts, Del to go to Set up."

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the info Howard and Mirob. I have already fitted the replacement PCU and although the normal red light appeared on the computer front for about 30 secs it then went out and nothing else happened. I replaced my old CPU and all was OK. Replacement CPU checked out OK on test rig at local workshop. I have not overcloccked or fiddled about with anything previously so I hope the "Clear CMOS" will do the trick...Let you know if it doesn't. (I've found the jumpers on the mobo)
Thanks again guys.

Regards

Success!!

Thanks again Guys. All now completed and working great. Now to get my wireless network set up ! ! ! !

All the best

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back