[Closed} Shortcuts bring up - open with dialog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm first of not sure if there still is a virus however the issue began after an attempt to get rid of a virus.

it was a program masquerading as windows security software as well as blocking internet access, so I opened msconfig and removed a few things from the start up (after verifying what they where on another website), as far as i can see this has fixed the virus, however I believe i must have stopped the program that runs shortcuts?

i also run a scan and removed a few viruses with a security program that’s never given any issues, however after resetting my PC that got rid of a few things in a boot clean up...So it too could have been the cause

any help would be greatly appreciated
as well as info on how to locate msconfig manually

--UPDATE-- It appears that only .exe files are an issue media/audio/misc still function, however anything with a .exe extension fails to be recognized and will bring up the openwith option

Thank you for the update. However, I doubt you have removed all of the malware. I am going to close your 2 threads. But if you decide to go through our malware scans ,
If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.
The fix you refer to is not something to be recommended without scans to reveal the malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back