CMOS Jumper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am assembling a PC for the first time, and am having the "does not POST" problem. I've read through some previous threads here (googling the problem is how I discovered this website), and I THINK I have everything set up correctly, except for the CMOS jumper.

I've found the place on the motherboard where the plugs go, but I can't find anything to plug in there. Is this something that would be coming from the case?

The only thing coming from the case that isn't already plugged in is a bundle of four plugs, two three-prong and two single-prong. The three-prong plugs are numbered 1 and 2 and are labeled GROUND, +D, and -D. The single-prongs (also numbered 1 and 2) are labeled +5V. I thought this bundle was for the front USB ports, but I could be wrong.

In case it matters, the specs are:

Board: MSI K8N NEO2 PLATINUM Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce3 Ultra
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz
Video: MSI NX6600 AGP 8x
RAM: 2x 1GB PC3200 DDR 400 (currently only one installed, to cut down on the variables of the problem)

All of these components are brand new. The power, case, hard drive and floppy disc are inherited from the previous system.

Other things I've checked based on other techspot threads:
  • Both power connectors are plugged in.
  • The RAM is in the right slot and well-seated. I've tried booting up with each chip in the #1 slot, with the same result. So either they aren't the problem, or both RAM chips are bolluxed.
  • The CPU fan is connected to the correct fan power connector.

Something else I've seen suggested is to take the motherboard out and set it up outside the case to see if there's a short. I will try that next; I wanted to clear up my confusion about the jumper first.

Thanks in advance for any help.

J.

Welcome to TechSpot

Sunjammer said:
except for the CMOS jumper.

I've found the place on the motherboard where the plugs go, but I can't find anything to plug in there. Is this something that would be coming from the case?
Tipically the "clear cmos" is 3 pins with a 2 pin jumper.
pin 1&2 clear the cmos and pin 2&3 is default.
There are boards that have pin jumpers that need to change
inorder to flash the bios.
Look in your manual page 2-24
The motherboard provides the following jumpers for you to set the computer’s
function. This section will explain how to change your motherboard’s function through
the use of jumpers.
Jumpers
JBAT1
MSI Reminds You...
You can clear CMOS by shorting 2-3 pin while the system is off.
Then return to 1-2 pin position. Avoid clearing the CMOS while the
system is on; it will damage the mainboard.
Clear CMOS Jumper: JBAT1
There is a CMOS RAM on board that has a power supply from external battery
to keep the system configuration data. With the CMOS RAM, the system can automatically
boot OS every time it is turned on. If you want to clear the system
configuration, use the JBAT1 (Clear CMOS Jumper ) to clear data. Follow the instructions
below to clear the data:
Clear Data
Keep Data

I hope this helps
G'Luck

CMOS Jumper

No, I'd already found all that. What I didn't know was what physical object gets placed onto those pins. I've since found it -- a little green plastic sleeve that came with the motherboard. The computer is up and running now and everything's peachy. Thanks anyway, though. And thanks to everyone who responded to other threads in this forum, without which I'd still be stuck in several other ways.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back