Coffee Lake, Best thing since Sandy Bridge?

Is this finally the upgrade you have been waiting for?

• Yes

• No

• AMD Ryzen has my attention now, not Intel.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Modzy

Hey everyone, first time doing a big topic post here.

And if you are like me and only upgrade every new major generation. Buying into a complete new platofrm upgrade each time. Only sending money very wisely on very good price-for-performance parts.

In 2011 I upgraded from my Q6600 platform to a spanky new system sporting a 2500K, Asus Z68 Maximus Gene-Z Gen3, 16Gb 1600Mhz of ram & a pair of GTX460 1Gb's. Overclocked this system was an utter beast. The CPU topped out under water at 5.25Ghz.

So apart from GPU upgrades along the way, we all know the tiny gains intel has made and a CPU upgrade never really looked worth the money. I wanted to spend that similar amount of money on a whole platofrm switch. and gain the same 4-5 year life span out of it.

So Is the Z370 platform with Its much newer and up-todate features & CPU's offer finally a true worth while reason to upgrade If you are looking at spending that same money today?

Well If you BYO the GPU you may still be hanging onto like a GTX700/900 series card or (R9 from Radeon.) Let's take a simple look at the pricing and basic features.

2011 Pricing: $615AUD Total
- CPU $215 - 2500K - 4C/4T 3.3Ghz

With over 1ghz headroom for OCing, even on air.
- Mobo $220 - Asus Z68 Maximus Gene-Z Gen3
Full Z68 feature set mATX mobo, including one of the best VRM designs for OCing, SLI support.
- Ram $180 - 4x4Gb G-Skill RipjawsX F3 CL9 1600Mhz DDR3
At a time when 4Gb was the entry point, and 8gb was the norm for gaming systems. I went 16Gb of some of the best kits to future proof myself. 32Gb was best in slot while 64gb was almost unheard of outside server enviroment.

2017 Pricing: $717AUD Total
- CPU $269AU - 8350K - 4C/4T 4.0Ghz
Unknown OC potential at time of writing this. 4 threads is now the entry point, esspecially with games coded to use 8 threads as the norm. (Lowest end "K" sku CPU)
- Mobo $229 - ASUS Prime Z370-P
Low end of the Z370 spectrum, mediocre/low end VRM that may limit OC. No SLI & limited other features compared to the full potential Z370 has to offer.
- Ram $219 - 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2133Mhz CL13
The slowest speed DDR4, 16Gb is now almost concidered entry level amount when you consider 32Gb is almost now mainstream If you are gaming/streaming or content creating. And 64Gb is the new best is slot.

First off, its clear the AUD now sucks balls. So we are talking hardware from 2 different catagories. As
So whats now an entry level cpu is being compared to what was a mainstream cpu back then.
But the performance gap in IPC between SB & CL might mean it's finally worth not only the the extra $60, but the entire $269 price. Well we will have to wait and see once all the benchmarks for this chip start to drop, and overclocking potential is known. I really really want to see an indepth SB 2500k vs CL 8350K review.

Looking at the Z370 motherboard side of things, this price point gives you mostly base line features this this platform has to offer. Some brands offer 1 feature another might not to keep pricing competative. So with dropping atleast another $100AU, you are very limited on what you get compared to what is on offer with Z370 and getting the most out of the platform.

The ram is also slightly worrying, while 16gb is more than enough, the speed is the concern here. We are now again at a time when ram speed has once again proven to make a difference, where as back in 2011. CL7 1333Mhz ram was near idential in performance to 2133Mhz CL11 ram in gaming.

Now there is 2 things I've not mentioned until now, as this relates to my situaltion. In late 2015, 2 of my ram stick died and It was right at tax time so I grabbed 4x4gb Corsair Vengence Pro 2133Mhz ram, which is pretty much the best-in-slot ram for Z68.
Then in early 2016 a mate of mine sold me his 3770K for $200, this was a no brainer for me as I meant I now had best-in-socket CPU as well. It does 5Ghz on water, BUT If I had not of had that offer, I was not looking at buying a new or used 3770K, as they wher still going for $250-300AUD. I would still be running the 2500K to this day otherwise.
I'm now running a pair of Kepler based 6Gb Titans in SLI for GPU's if your wondering, but again these were bought 2nd hand for a total of $500AU for the pair.

But the fact remains, I'm still on the Z68 platform, with 2011 features. No M.2 no native USB 3.1 etc. An old style Bios where there is very limited fan control etc. Of course no RGB support either.

With the current CPU, GPUs & Ram, this system is maxed out in terms of upgrades. except maybe losing 1 GPU for a PCI-E 4x M.2 add-in card. But even then, I don't think the system supports booting from one anyway.

So that's my situation, I have been looking at Ryzen with very close eyes. But honestly, until AMD sort out the better ram speed support and much more optimization happens with that platform. The 4-5 Year life span inventment isn't there with the 1st generation Ryzen chips.
That's why I'm looking at Coffee Lake & I wanted your opinion on weather or not this is the platform you think is finally worth the upgrade too If you are also in a similar situation to me.

Let me know what you think.

Coffee Lake platform is still very limited. While you can get dual M.2 etc, AM4 platform still wins hands down as it has x4 NVME connector straight from CPU while on z370 platform all traffic goes through narrow bus between CPU and chipset. Also AM4 is likely future proof while z370 may be very short lived.

I cannot see much reason to get z370 unless you want to overclock right now.

I'm feeling the upgrade itch atm. I'm on z77 platform and a i5 3750k @ 4.4ghz and 16GB ram. Coffee lake has my attention but so has Ryzen. The main reason for me is im doing a lot of video and 3d animation work. Less of the gaming these days but it still do a fair bit. And with a gtx780 im only just starting the have issues of slowness in some of the newer games 1080p@60. Mainly when I use tripple screen I have issues. In ED its pritty bad anywhere but in space ( ie 40fps, 60 in space). But for Assetto Corsa and rf2 or iracing its pritty good (60fps+). Only pcars 2 recently has really slowed my system down. But most other games I run at 1080p are fine for 60. But the slowness comes from the GFX card. My CPU still has room for a better gpu.

The AM4 platform does have the advantage that AMD said they would not be replacing the socket any time soon so they are open to several generational cpu upgrades, where as z370 is only going to have one at most. AMD also has many more PCIe lines. But intel has the advantage of higher frequency atm so for Hi-FPS gaming intel is still the best. Esp as its using the ring bus still. and 6 cores is nice, even on the i5.

When it comes to ram well it seems to be get the best you can. I'm currently finding that im running out of ram but again this is because of video editing. But I have seen Forza 7 taking 10GB+ of ram @4k.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do on your pc? What is feeling slow on your current pc? or do you just want all the new features like M.2's , usb3.1 and such? Do you want / need RGB? Or do you want Hi-FPS and or Hi-rez gaming? VR maybe?

Ultimately coffee lake has my interest and I think would be best if your doing more Hi-FPS gaming. But I'm going to have to wait a while as I want to see how it matures and also ive no money atm. lol.

Cheers,
DrDoomsLab.

Back