Coinbase is handing over information on 13,000 users to the IRS

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in December 2016 issued a summons demanding Coinbase produce information related to roughly 500,000 user accounts (all of them). Coinbase fought the matter in court and while it was somewhat successful, the exchange is still being forced to hand over data on thousands of accounts.

As a result, Coinbase has notified a group of roughly 13,000 customers that their data is being handed over to the IRS. Specifically, the order requests the taxpayer ID, name, birth date, address and historical transaction records of users that completed transactions of more than $20,000 in a single year between 2013 and 2015.

Coinbase contacted affected parties last Friday regarding the matter and said it has been given 21 days to produce the information. Those with concerns are urged to seek legal advice from an attorney.

While the order only impacts the platform’s most active users, it has giving some a reason for concern.

Peter Van Valkenburgh, director of research at Coin Center, told The Verge late last year that they remain deeply unsatisfied with the lack of justification provided by the IRS. Without better rationale for why these specific transactions were suspect, Valkenburgh says a similarly sweeping request could be made for customer data from any financial institution. “It sets a bad precedent for financial privacy,” he concluded.

Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and their underlying blockchain technology have been lauded for their privacy and deregulated nature. This wasn’t much of an issue early on as cryptocurrencies held very little value but once adoption took off and coin values soared, they quickly attracted the attention of governments around the globe.

Permalink to story.

they remain deeply unsatisfied with the lack of justification provided by the IRS

Big brother never needed much reason, he just wants to control everything.

Like in Simpsons - "I was elected to lead, not to read"...

The crypto currency tax laws are rediculois. It's not that I'm unwilling to pay taxes it is that I'm unable to because not even a CPA wants to deal with it. There isn't a clear way to calculate the value of a crypto to crypto trade in dollars.

Every crypto to crypto trade is a taxable event. The tax was 50% but was then lowered to I think 38%, which is an improvement.

The problem with that is you can only write off up to $3500 in losses. What that means(from my understanding of what I've been told) is that if you make $20,000 on some trades but lose $30,000 after that you still have to pay 38% tax on $16,500.

I can't find a CPA that is willing to deal with crypto and is taking new clients. My Tax attorney has just told me, "just file your taxes normally and I'll take care of the rest when you get audited"

Al Capone was unstoppable. Till the IRS stopped him.

Blade was unstoppable. Vampires couldn't touch him. Till the IRS stopped him.

The moral of this story is, the IRS is coming to get us all.

Al Capone was unstoppable. Till the IRS stopped him.

Blade was unstoppable. Vampires couldn't touch him. Till the IRS stopped him.

The moral of this story is, the IRS is coming to get us all.

Til the IRS bothers someone inclined expatriate and ditch American citizenship.

Til the IRS bothers someone inclined expatriate and ditch American citizenship.

The US is one of only a few countries that also taxes its citizens living overseas on their foreign earned income. If they want to dump their US citizenship, the process takes several years.

The US is one of only a few countries that also taxes its citizens living overseas on their foreign earned income. If they want to dump their US citizenship, the process takes several years.

Point is, people are doing so in increasing number. When it's cheaper to pay a lawyer to take care of the grunt work to go expat than expose yourself to the tax liability, you pay the lawyer.

Anyway.Crypto is no different than any other underground economy,making money without paying taxes on said income is illegal. I hope CRA and IRS get their share. if you have a problem with it, make sure you have all receipts for hardware purchases ,power used etc, and have a good accountant, and a Lawyer for some. welcome to America!

And even they don't expatriate cause they can't pass up the opportunity afforded to them by the American citizenship.

Here's a question: how many of them moved out like they claimed they would if/when Trump won?

The cited statistics are of people who actually gave up citizenship, not fainting snowflakes. And the people who are giving up that citizenship are doing so to keep more of their money.

Simply put, the higher your income and assets, the less you need America as an individual.

The cited statistics are of people who actually gave up citizenship, not fainting snowflakes. And the people who are giving up that citizenship are doing so to keep more of their money.

Simply put, the higher your income and assets, the less you need America as an individual.

Simply put - there are more people trying to move in than move out.

just like Canada ,way more trying to get in than are trying to get out..everyone at risk of being punted from the U.S. are walking ,hiking biking. anyway they can , to Canada, they don't complain so much about the cold as they used to,lol.

I said the IRS can bark up trees all it likes. The trees with the most liabilities will uproot and walk away with sufficient barking.

Small fries don’t matter. Thus, the expat data. Those are the trees who have said, increasingly, F-U to the IRS.

Pablo and Habib don’t even have assets to tax most of the time, let alone IRS auditors breathing down their necks. Thus, they are immaterial to my original comment.

I said the IRS can bark up trees all it likes. The trees with the most liabilities will uproot and walk away with sufficient barking.

Small fries don’t matter. Thus, the expat data. Those are the trees who have said, increasingly, F-U to the IRS.

Pablo and Habib don’t even have assets to tax most of the time, let alone IRS auditors breathing down their necks. Thus, they are immaterial to my original comment.

Do the comments sections have a block button - or a mute button?

Back