Computer boots, but only with exact set of components

So I am in the middle of an upgrade, and my computer only boots with the exact set of hardware components, I can't plug in another sata connector for fan hub, or a new drive. I had taken a few components off, and tried to reboot it, when I originally came upon this problem. I put the components back in - a hard drive, and fans but the problem was still the same. I took out the hard drive, and it booted fine. I only have an nvme and hdd. I assume that was because of conflicting boot priorities? The computer's lights will flash on, and then off, within a second. Am I just missing something really basic? I don't think I have the psu maxed out. The computer otherwise works fine, and boots properly. I hope I'm not being an *****. Please help me if you have any inclinations as to what the problem may be.

"my computer only boots with the exact set of hardware components"
" I took out the hard drive, and it booted fine."

Start here and capture an inventory of the hardware that works together using something like Belarc Advisor. Now compare to the new stuff. Is it compatible? Does the new stuff use different protocols, drivers, formats, etc?

Now check PSU, how many watts? does this comfortably exceed the combined use you plan...(for'instance, you cannot expect to run a GTX 1080 on 300 w.).

For more/better help on this, you need to describe system and components - make/model - OS version - what worked together - what changes you intend.

By saying the exact hardware, do you mean the original manufacturers configuration that it came with? You say you took out the hdd and it booted fine. Was the original hdd in the computer and did you plug in another one? Also what os's are on the hdd's if there are two of them? What computer's lights flash on and does it give a beep code? You need to be more specific about what you are doing and what happens. Also, when the computer's lights flash off, do you still have any signs that the power supply is still working like fan's spinning? Especially the power supply's.

By saying the exact hardware, do you mean the original manufacturers configuration that it came with? You say you took out the hdd and it booted fine. Was the original hdd in the computer and did you plug in another one? Also what os's are on the hdd's if there are two of them? What computer's lights flash on and does it give a beep code? You need to be more specific about what you are doing and what happens. Also, when the computer's lights flash off, do you still have any signs that the power supply is still working like fan's spinning? Especially the power supply's.

Sorry for the confusion, I should've specified more. I built this rig, and had it working only a month ago. Then I took out the hdd, and when I went to put it back in, it wouldn't boot. No psu problems. I suppose what I'm really wondering is how can I put a hdd with data on it back in to a computer? Microsoft 10 is stored on the nvme, and only 1 hdd was in play. It basically wouldn't boot with the same setup.

If what I think you're saying is true, you should consider a compatibily problem, like Cycloid Torus hinted. If it is true that you tried an incompatible piece of hardware, then you might boot into the recovery console(or whatever the manufacturer calls it, since you didn't specify) and try to run a startup repair to repair the bootup process, since an incompatible device can corrupt the os as I have had happen. Anyway it won't hurt to run a startup repair and also you might consider resetting bios defaults to make sure the boot order is set correctly and maybe even a bios update and then try it with the exact set of components that was installed the last time it booted successfully.

So I gather that NVME plus HDD was initial config and the system booted properly from NVME. Then you removed HDD and you were still able to boot from NVME. Later, you reconnected HDD and discovered that you could not boot.
I do not have the manual for your motherboard, but I would not be surprised if there were a special driver or configuration step needed to boot from NVME when in combo with HDD. Please look for that.
Another possibility is that the introduction of the HDD may have caused BIOS to classify the 'new' HDD as the boot drive. As I read your description, it is intended to be a data drive only - so look at BIOS to be sure things are as they should be.
Please keep us apprised.

Huh ? Take your sata hard drive that has the os currently installed into it.
Sata Port 0 should do for it, take your other new hdd/ssd put it into sata Port 1.
When you are setting up sata drives for a raid configuration, some will play music chairs with you. :/

*moments like these that will make you scream and pull your hair out*

Another problem but simple fix would be to enable ahci mode, if you haven't done so with your last build.
If everything is setup correctly with your hdd's and optical disc drive.
Windows 10 should detect it and let you boot into windows.

For the computer powering on and back off.
make sure the mobo is not too tight or too loose on the mounting pegs.
Also check the gpu card and make sure its attached and screwed properly to the case.
If it is too tight, you will get the same symptoms like you are experiencing now.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/132877/raid.html

Microsoft 10 is stored on the nvme, and only 1 hdd was in play. It basically wouldn't boot with the same setup.
sounds like the BOOT config is corrupt

He never did say that he had an error message, he just said that the computer's lights flash on then off within a second with the extra hdd installed nor did he say that he could access the data on the extra hdd when it booted successfully with it installed. If the issue is not caused by a hardware problem and the computer will boot up with the extra hdd out and boot config is corrupt, he can dowload a boot disk on another computer and assuming he can boot to it he can go to the command prompt and maybe fix the boot config. He should also check the BIOS to make sure the boot order is set correctly as mentioned earlier by Cycloid Torus. He can go to this link for instructions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ettings/corrupted-windows-10-not-bostructions:

Last edited:
Back