Computer build advice for a programmer

D0M1N13

Hello Everybody !
I want to build a computer that will be used for programming ( macro, visual studio, C++, java, etc ),
compiling, dealing with graphics and design, working on big programs ( Adobe Masters Suite ),
multitasking. But no gaming !
My planned build looks like this:

Processor ( i7-3930K )
CPU Cooler ( Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 )
Motherboard ( Asus RAMPAGE IV EXTREME )
RAM ( G.SKILL DDR3 4x4GB 2133MHz CL9 RipjawsZ )
Hard Drive ( WD 1 TB, 64 MB, 7200 RPM, WD1002FAEX )
SSD Drive ( Samsung 840 Series, 250GB )
Graphic Card ( Asus 680 GTX )
Sound Card ( Asus Xonar Essence STX )
Optical Drive ( Asus BW-12B1ST )
Case ( CoolerMaster Cosmos II )
PSU ( Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 )

What do you guys think about this build ? Is it too powerful for the stuff that I will be doing ?
Do you recommend me to take out some components and add some other ones ?

In my opinion, I think that the processor i7-3930K is too powerful even for the stuff that I will be doing.
I was thinking about the i7-3820. Second thing, the PSU power.... was thinking about dropping it till
650 W. Third thing, the GTX 680 graphics card...also thinking that it's too powerful... might go with
the GTX 670. And the last thing is the motherboard - Asus Rampage IV Extreme... planning on
switching to Asus P9X79 Deluxe.

I would appreciate everyone's replies to help me finish this build.

Yes, majority of those parts are bit overkill. Even the Cosmos II seems a bit overkill. Especially, if you don't plan to go with water cooling. If I were you, Id make these changes.

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
PSU: Corsair TX650
GPU: GTX 660TI

I would ditch the sound card altogether.

Thank you for your info, Blkfx1 ! All seems good except what is the reason behind you switching to Corsair TX650 instead of Thermaltake's PSU ?

Well, I didn't see a Thermaltake PSU mentioned. However, I always like to stick with Corsair because I know they offer quality power supplies. When it comes to PSU you always want to go with something of good quality.

Yes, majority of those parts are bit overkill. Even the Cosmos II seems a bit overkill. Especially, if you don't plan to go with water cooling. If I were you, Id make these changes.

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
PSU: Corsair TX650
GPU: GTX 660TI

I would ditch the sound card altogether.
All good suggestions. You don't need 2133Mhz RAM either, 1600Mhz is fine. Remember more RAM >>> faster RAM so get 32GB if your programs are really RAM hungry.

The Cosmos II is an awesome case but will look seriously empty with one hard drive and one GPU. Something midrange like a Corsair 400R/500R will be fine.

Back