D@nny

dxdiag only showing 2 gigs.
Its a hp pavillion a6152n

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/10/2010, 09:16:23
Machine name: ROBOT-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000) (6000.vista_ldr.100218-0019)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: GC672AAR-ABA a6152n
BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/24/07 21:06:54 Ver: 5.13
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1123MB used, 3204MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 10
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 6.00.6000.16386 32bit Unicode

Initially I got to thinking maybe my graphics card is taking 1 gig of ram
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 8800 GTS
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0193&SUBSYS_042010DE&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1064 MB
Dedicated Memory: 297 MB
Shared Memory: 767 MB
The thing is if my card comes with 297 dedicated memory and its sharing 767 from my ram shouldnt I still have some ram left over. 1 gig - 767 = 2233 not 2046.

If you get a 64 bit version of windows you will be able to use all of your ram. 32bit windows can only see and use 4 gigs of memory. Now your video card has memory, so does your DVD drivers and hard drivers, also some sound cards with other PCI devices, also your cpu and ram memory. Take all the memory and add it up.

I don't see what a 64 bit version has to do with his system reporting only 2GB of RAM when it should be reporting 3.

Have you physically looked at the motherboard to make sure that it does in fact have the correct number of RAM sticks installed? My guess is either the machine shipped with the incorrect amount. You would be getting beeps if a stick was bad.

**** **** **** guess its time to move this to the next subforum. i came back after a trip to the bank i turned hte pc to restart after installing wnidows updates. when i come back i think my home alarm is going off turns out its my computer beep beep beep. i turn it off and tur nit back on and go into setup. turns out ram slot 3 is missing which is why i only have 2 gigs instead of 3. pretty big coincidence that i just realize i only have 3 gigs of ram and im suddenly getting a bsod. what could have caused this? i didnt get a look at the bsod as i immediately want and turned off my pc .
could letting the pc keep beeping for a prolonged time damage it?

post boot edit: thats strange tho that i coincidentally decide to check my dxdiag and realize im missing a stick of ram. maybe the beeps came from ] something else since the pc loaded up fine this time? i just reinstalled factory conditions too so i highly doubt its a virus. unless my external hard drive has viruses on it since i did play some videos from it.. but i doubt that.

is there a way in event viewe (which i find very difficult to navigate and understand) to see why the computer didnt load up properly while i was gone? ?

woah maybe it got loose some how? i did push all 4 sticks in but none of them seemed the least bit out of place. now my memory says 3070 mb of ram again!! should i be concerned that i have a ram stick that is liable to go on and off?

the thing is bios showed slot 3 not installed. so this isnt making much sense. should i turn off my computer and check to see if bios still says memory slot 3 missing or is dxdiag reliable in this case?

Danny,
Due to corrosion or other factors, just removing and reseating a RAM stick can work wonders.
In the old days they recommended using a pencil erasor to clean RAM. :)

OK, first off, 3 short beeps in an Intel board is absolutely a memory issue. I believe this extends to an Intel chipset also.

You need to follow the instructions in this thread, https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic62524.html and test your memory, one DIMM at a time.

Get the latest version of memtest from our download page.

Don't panic, take your time, and make certain that any memory stick you tamper with is fully seated before powering up, or you could kill the motherboard.

One particular socket on any board must have a DIMM in it or the machine will not power up. Download your board's instruction manual from its manufacturer's website, and read it, before you begin.

Back