Computer crashes during game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusi

Hello, I am new here and I need some help.

Computer Specs:

Windows XP Pro SP2 Version 2002
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.40 GHz
1GB RAM

Chaintech NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Video BIOS: 5.43.02.66.01
256 MB
ForceWare:71.25

Power Supply: MAXTOTAL 480W

At first I had a FoxConn motherboard and games worked for about 5 hours before the computer shut off. I tried to turn it on again and did not work. I then removed the power supply cord and put it back in and the computer would turn on till windows and crash. So I kept it off for a couple of hours and turned it on again. This time everything loaded like normal, seemed like it overheated. I played for 5 hours and the same thing happened again. So I decided to get a new, more known, motherboard. The ASUS motherboard had the same issue and I ended up buying a huge fan for the CPU. This fan cooled it very well and I knew this because of the ASUSprobe program. I wish I could say this helped, except it did not at all. Even when I play 2D MMORPG games, it takes less than 30 minutes for it to turn off. I don't know what could be causing this, the RAM sticks? Video card? Power supply?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for the help! Everything was fine untill I noticed my 12v only had 16 amps. I will buy a better PSU and tell you results.

I also updated my NVIDIA driver.

Thanks alot again. Hope the PSU was the problem.

Edit: Which PSU would you recommend for my computer? Im not sure what size is compatible with my case. =/

How would I find out which type of PSU to buy? Not sure if some of these would fit in my case, my cpu fan taking up most of the space.

A majority of psu's are described as atx, this is a standardization. As long as your current psu is an atx (it should say on the label somewhere) then any atx psu will fit.

Atx is atx, as i said before, it will fit, they are all the same size.
Atx12v is an atx with an extra 12v rail, its external dimensions are still atx.

Thank you very much for clearing that up. Dual 12v is better than a single? I am looking for 12v with more than 24 amps which is hard to find. Would dual 12v 18 amps be enough?

24 ams is a heck of a lot of power, why do you need so much?
From what i can gather and from my previous electronics experience, if you get a dual 12v rail psu both rails should be capable of putting out the same amperage each.
I don't know this for sure as i use a single rail psu and find it works absolutely perfect.

If you are still unsure, then google a few different psu's and make comparisons from the results you find.

Im not sure but a couple of sites recommend 24-30 amps from the 12v. And since I have a fast P4, I figured i should listen.

Dual 12V is better than one. Dual 12V 18amps should be more than enough. You can scroll through the customer reviews on the PSUs that I posted...some people posted their computer specs.
Is this the video card you have?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814145112
Have you adjusted the AGP aperature size in the BIOS yet?? If not you should adjust it to 128.
Also...how many case fans do you have? You should have at least one in the front of the case and one in the rear.

Yes, that is exact video card what I have.

Greenmachine said:
Have you adjusted the AGP aperature size in the BIOS yet?? If not you should adjust it to 128.
Also...how many case fans do you have? You should have at least one in the front of the case and one in the rear.

Not sure how to adjust to 128, I had 1 case fan on one of the side covers. I removed that in order to hope to cool down the system. Only fan that I have running at the moment is a CPU fan:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article267-page1.html

It's quite large but very effective and quiet.

WOW...that is a really nice CPU fan. You still need a couple case fans though to cool other components, ex. video card. Case fans are really cheap. I have one case fan in the front sucking in air and one case fan in the back blowing it out. I do not have any fans on the side covers. And I have a CPU fan as well but nothing as nice as yours.
What vid. driver version are you running? If it's not version 77.50 then go here to download it.
As far as adjusting the AGP aperature size...not all BIOS are the same. What is the motherboard make and model? For my BIOS I had to press a certain key stroke (Ctrl+F1) to access a hidden setting. Look in your BIOS for an "advanced chipset" option. If you post your motherboard make and model I will look in your user manual online for the details.
Cheers

Well I see my Video card comes with a fan mounted on it, would that be enough?

I downloaded the latest driver version a couple of days ago, ForceWare is 84.21 . Should I still download the 77.50?

Motherboard is Asus P5P800 SE and Intel 865PE chip.

What BIOS version do you have? Updating your BIOS is always a good idea when installing new hardware. The new ASUS BIOS version is 0704. In order to change your AGP aperature, first get into BIOS when booting up computer. Once in BIOS go to the Advanced Menu. Scroll down and select the chipset menu. In chipset menu scroll down to "Graphics Aperature size" adjust it to 128 (It needs to be set to one-half of your video memory, since your video card is 256MB the aperature is set to 128).
Here is a link to your user manual that shows a picture of the menus.....
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5P800 SE/e2196_p5p800se.pdf
Go to Page 82 for pic of chipset menu and page 80 for pic of advanced menu

Well I went to go update the BIOS except I got a .ROM, which I do not know what to do with.

This is straight from ASUS website....click link for pics
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?root=198&SLanguage=en-us

Use built-in EZ Flash BIOS to Refresh

1. Download latest ASUS BIOS from ASUS WWW and rename the BIOS filename to "xxxxx.ROM" (xxxxx represents the motherboard model you used, eg. P4C800 BIOS is named p4c800.ROM), and save the file in a floppy disk.

2. Reboot the system.

3. When the system is at POST after reboot, please hold down "Alt" + "F2" to view the following image. You may start executing EZ Flash utility. Please place the floppy disk with latest BIOS inside and insert into the floppy drive.

Note: If you have not placed any floppy disk into the floppy drive, you will see a warning message stating "Floppy not found". If the utility can not find the correct files in the floppy disk, it will show "p4c800.ROM not found!" (Assuming the motherboard is P4C800) message.

4. The system will auto-detect whether the floppy disk contains the relevant files in the floppy drive. If there is no problem, the EZ Flash utility will begin auto-refreshing and reboot the system once it is done . The procedure for refreshing is show below.

Note: Please don't turn off or reboot the system during BIOS refreshing! By doing so, you will cause serious damage to your system!

Yes, I changed it to 128. May I ask what does this do?

Also, I don't have a floppy drive, any way to get new BIOS version using a cd-rom?

What setting the AGP aperture size does is limit the amount of RAM the AGP bus can appropriate when it needs to. It is not used unless absolutely necessary.
Here is a better explanation....

When I first bought my 6600 my AGP aperature was set at 32 and HALO would skip. After I changed my AGP aperature to 128 the skip is gone.

Yikes..no floppy...let me look around for some other options.

Do you have ASUS update installed on your computer. It is a program that allows you to update your BIOS in windows. If you don't have this program, then go HERE. On this page you will need to select Motherboard, Socket 775, and P5P800 SE from the drop down menus. Once that loads click on the Utilities tab. At the top of the list you should see "ASUS Update V6.09.01 Install Program." Download the program. Go here and look at page 68 for instructions on how to use the ASUS update program through the internet. Or if you already downloaded the new BIOS version to your computer look at page 69 on "how to update the bios through a bios file."
After updating BIOS, restart the computer and enter BIOS. Go to the Exit sub-menu and choose "Load Optimal Defaults". Then click "Exit & Save Changes" and reboot system to complete BIOS update procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back