Computer crashes when plugging in printer with no reboot

I have a gateway laptop with windows vista. Sometimes when I plug in my printer a USB port the computer crashes. Then I have to take out the battery and put it back in to start it up again. It seems to do this more when I have my wireless mouse plugged in but still does it when no other devices are in use. Most of the posts I've seen are crash and automatic reboot. Not me! Any ideas?

Sounds like drivers. particularly USB but it could also be motherboard USB controller drivers as well. Do you get Blue Screens? Do you have the latest drivers from Gateway installed for your particular model? Do you have Vista's latest Service Pack and drivers updated?

If not do so.

I don't get any blue screen it just shuts off. I'm really not sure if I have the latest drivers or the service pack. Do you have to manually download those or will windows update do it? My computer was made in 2007 so I'm sure it needs to be updated. Other than this problem it runs really well. Thanks for responding!

Go to Windows Update and let it scan. It will then give you the option on what to install. Make sure you install critical as well as the latest Service Pack.

Once you do so get back to us and tell us how it is running.

Back