Computer doesn't start HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past few weeks, my computer has been giving me problems of just freezing. However, when i try to turn it back on, i get no beep and the monitor just stays black. We tried several new video cards but that has done nothing to fix the problem. I disassembled the whole computer and took out the cpu which i thought was the problem. I purschased a new cpu from new egg and i am waiting for it to ship. I guess if that diesnt work it must be the mobo b/c i tried everything else. I have also posted numerous times stating my high running temps of my cpu 90+. I think it could have cause Sudden Northwood Syndrome. I hope this is that case and a new cpu will fix the problem. Any suggestions?

P4 3.2 socket 478 800FSB 1mb Cach northwood
2x512 ram
120 GB GD
MSI SIS 64 mobo
Ati Radeon 9600 256mb

what about your PSU? are you sure it's not bad? since you didn't list it in your specs i'm guessing that it's generic

if your CPU was actually running at 90c+, then your mobo should have shut the system down. if that mobo doesn't have that feature then your CPU would in fact die very quicky. That kind of heat can also damage the mobo as well.

...or your mobo itself is bad

i have a 450 psu and it runs fine because it powers everything ie fans and light, but could it really be sudden northwood death? i just bought a new cpu to give it a try, but i hope it isnt te motherboard is there any way to enter the bios when my computer powers up but doesnt start

no POST = no VIDEO

no POST = no VIDEO... reset your bios to defaults, are you accidentally overclocking? It could happen, not that Id know from personal experience. :blush:

Wayne

Keep in mind that just because your fans come on and you have lights does not mean your power supply is, therefore, okay.

Do you know the make/model of you PSU?
The generic power supply units often only run at about 70% of the posted specs. Check this site to make sure you have a powerful enough PSU.

Also, you should not be running at 90c. How is the ventilation in your case? How many fans are you using? What are you using for cooling on your Proc? Have you checked to make sure that there is thermal paste?

i dont think that the psu is the thing causing the problem but overtime would it collect dust in it before it gradually stops working? also how do i get to the bios to reset my settings, and will i lose any information. lastly i have two fans in back one side fan one cpu fan w/heatsink and 2 fans on the psu and a front intake. i guess if the new cpu doesnt work i could always try the psu and i hope the mobo is my last option. could it be my ram? 2x512 corsair value and my mobo is MSI SiS 648F Neo how do i know if there is a bios update

well for starters a new PSU should have been the first thing replaced before buying a new CPU. and since you keep avoiding giving any PSU specs, we pretty much know that it is a rubbish generic brand... and therefore should be replaced with a reputible brand reguardless of whether or not it's the source of the problem. and just as Mailpup stated just because the fans spin and the mobo lights up does not mean that the PSU is still good.

To reset your CMOS, disconnect power and remove the button cell battery for about 1 minute (and if the mobo has a CMOS clear jumper or button, then use it).

with most mobos after clearing the CMOS, the system will prompt you to enter the BIOS upon the boot up. If it doesn't then you will have to hold down a key during boot up (usually the 'del' or 'F2' key, most mobos will show the required key during the logo splash screen)

also, i doubt your RAM is bad, but it may have a dirty connection or may not be seated good. try removing, cleaning dust off, and reseating the RAM sticks. you may want to try them separately as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back