Computer Freezes on "Starting Windows" Every Time

Baasha

I have an old Gateway PC that my family member uses from time to time. It has Windows 7 on it and was working fine for several years (since Win 7 came out).

It has a dual core AMD processor, 2GB of RAM, and a 150GB Raptor HDD (10K RPM) that the OS is installed on.

Recently, the computer started freezing and now doesn't even boot into Windows! :(

It freezes EVERY time at the 'Starting Windows' screen before the four colored lights come on the screen. I have tried many different things; repairing the computer (option when Windows doesn't start), booting into Safe Mode (no go - still freezes at same place), installing a new CMOS battery, and even installing a fresh OS on another drive (an SSD). In fact, when I was installing the OS on the SSD, the installation itself froze towards the end! :mad:

I have no idea why this is happening. It can't be a bad HDD and it certainly isn't any 'software' since I can't even do a fresh OS install! I set everything to default in the BIOS and tried but still, nothing!

This is extremely frustrating.

I would really appreciate any help with this. I don't even know where to begin - is the CPU damaged? If so, how do I tell? Could it be the motherboard? Or something else?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Back