Computer freezes then I'm unable to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm new on this site and I don't know for sure what is the problem that this computer has, I mean if it's software, malware, hardware or OS. So, I posted it here because after trying several things with my computer it could be a hardware problem.

My dad's computer froze last week and had to be reset. Then, after reset the computer will not turn on. The green and yellow lights turn on if there's a disc in the disc drive it starts spinning, but absolutely no sign on the screen appears!
Then I couldn't even boot the computer from CD, it's like it has no monitor attached to it.
Ok next day I thought to clean the fans, since they were never cleaned in 4-5 years. After, the computer worked for.... like 10 minutes and froze again, and it started all over.
Today, I turned it on again, and it worked! What a miracle. I started it in safemode and I tried to save as many files as I could onto my computer. I thought it was a virus doing that so I thought to reformat it. But when I tried to boot the computer it did not boot! It started to do the same dead screen ordeal.
I thought it could be the power cord, but there was never a problem with it. I have a couple of extra power cords, I could try to see if it solves the problem, but I doubt it.
The worse is if there is a problem with the processor, the graphic card, HDD or the fans I cannot tell which one is the problem.
Nothing was added to the computer recently, no new hardware, no new software.
The computer is very old, but yet very good so far... my dad's computer is older than mine but much faster and more productive.
Windows XP Pro
I can't remember the rest of the config but it has a nvidia graphic card, intel processor...
If I get a chance to turn it on again, I'll try to read the config, because it is nowhere written on paper.

Please help me solve my problem, it will be greatly appreciated, because my father keeps buzzing me about it 3-4 times per day...and he has a hard time understanding that I don't know what to do!:mad:

Thank you immensely for taking the time for me:wave:

You could always try a new monitor plug connection from your monitor to the computer, You cord could be old and faulty. Try dusting the fans again once the new cord is inserted. Leave the computer off for about an hour and try again. If this does not help please reply and I'll see what I can do.

It could be the hard drive. If you can get another hard drive, Plug it in if it works then it could be your hard drive that is faulty. if it is faulty then you have scan for virusses then run check disk on your hard drive.

It turned out to be more than one problem... The power supply box was the main problem, if I could say so. One of my dad's fishing friends came by a couple of days ago and he said he'll take it home and take a look at it. Apparently the power supply box was not powerful enough for the processor and was overloaded and as a result it burned out over the years. Also the motherboard, graphics card and HHD needed to be changed, as they were broken as a result of the wrong power supply box...
I guess this was beyond my skills with computers... It needed an engineer to actually look at it. Anyway he said he could fix it for my dad.
Thank you for trying to help, it is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back