Computer having trouble turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, my computer never turns on first time and I often have to turn the pull out the plug or turn the plug off (I'm in the UK), then wait a few minutes, then turn it back on, then wait another few minutes before pressing on the power button when it finally turns on.

Sometimes when I turn the electricity on at the wall, the computer box makes a high-pitched whirring noise. For whatever reason, the computer ONLY ever turns on when this noise is there. If I turn the plug on and there is no noise, I can guarantee the computer will definitely not turn on and I have to turn it off and wait another few minutes before trying again.

I was wondering if it has anything to do with external USB things plugged in (wireless dongle to be specific), so I took them all out before trying to turn the computer on, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Sometimes it acts like one of those old lawnmowers where it takes several pulls on the ignition to turn it on! E.g. I press the power button on the box and it turns on but then 3 seconds later it literally 'runs out of steam' and turns off again. Also on other occasions, I press the power button and the little light comes on showing that the computer is 'thinking', and really bizarrely the CD drive works, you can make it come out and in, but the actually computer is not turned on, the power light is off!

Any suggestions gratefully received, many thanks,

Agreed, your power supply is faulty. Replace it, or it may fail completely and cause some significant damage.

when i turn on my computer,after few secont it turn off itself,it turnon itseft,it turn off it selt.It does not able to load completely all the bios or if it able,after few minut it turn off itself .Some time i must to push on reset button for reboot the computer.After several booting it are able to load my os(windows xp sp3) but few minutes later it turnoff.
Would you say to me if my mother bord is scrap.This proble begin when i extract my usb key wiithout turn off it.

Hi ncc17010; welcome to the forums. :wave:

It is better if you start you own thread because many people will think you are helping the original poster. But perhaps Tmagic650 will see this and answer. He has a lot of knowledge.

We need to know the system's hardware, i.e. make and model of the motherboard, cpu, video card, etc.

Did these problems start after the USB was taken out without safely removing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back