Computer is not posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

skarmory2002

Hi Guys,

So, I have a problem with my tower, and I do not know where to go with this anymore. What happens is that the computer in question will not post. I press the power button, it turns on, and then it sits there. The screen does not come on, nor do the fans return to normal speed. They just stay at accelerated speeds. I have cleared the CMOS, and tried all sorts of software fixes. I know this is a hardware fault, but I do not know which part. Here is what I have done so far:

1. Sent Motherboard back to manufacturer for warranty repair.
2. After 1 month of waiting, put board back in tower. Still did not work.
3. Tried replacing the video card. Fault still present.
4. Used my video card in another computer, works fine.
5. Tried replacing the Power Supply. Fault still present.
6. Used my Power Supply in another tower. Works fine.
7. Tried replacing my processor with a 5000+ instead of the 9850+. This works!
8. Put my processor on another board, a K9A2GM from MSI. This works too!
9. Flashed the BIOS of my board to the newest version, that does support my processor. Did not work :(

I don't know what to do now. Every part works seperatly, but not when its together. I am ant a complete and total loss. I have been rolling this problem over in my mind for 2 months now since I got the board back. I don't know what to do. Please Help.

I am at the point that I am going to start building a new tower even though I just got this one in may. All parts that I have are under warranty. I have even purchased a UPS with Voltage Regulator since the failure to prevent future problems. Anything that can be of help will be greatly appreciated, you have no idea hoe much.

The motherboard is bad... you have tested everything else. If you get no video, how did you flash the bios?

The motherboard is bad... you have tested everything else. If you get no video, how did you flash the bios?

My computer boots up, and has no issues when I use the X2 5000+ that I have. I flashed it with that processor on the board instead of my Phenom 9850+

Ok, so the Phenom 9850+ is not compatible with your motherboard... Your motherboard is an Asus? They are picky when it comes to compatible memory and CPU's

Ok, so the Phenom 9850+ is not compatible with your motherboard... Your motherboard is an Asus? They are picky when it comes to compatible memory and CPU's

Yes, it is an ASUS. Specifically, an M3A32-MVP Deluxe Wifi. I have checked CPU support multiple times to ensure compatibility. It said a BIOS 1002 or newer was required for proper compatibility. I currently have version 1203. There should be no problem here. It did work for about 4 months after I bought it.

"There should be no problem here. It did work for about 4 months after I bought it"...

But... there is a problem now. Replace the Asus board if you want to use the Phenom 9850+... Can you find another board manufacturer other than Asus? Have you tried adjusting your memory or CPU settings in the bios?

"There should be no problem here. It did work for about 4 months after I bought it"...

But... there is a problem now. Replace the Asus board if you want to use the Phenom 9850+... Can you find another board manufacturer other than Asus? Have you tried adjusting your memory or CPU settings in the bios?

I have sent the board back for repair already, and it took about a month to come back. It was a long enough wait, and it still does not work with my 9850+ but does work with a 5000+

I will have to check and see if there are any setting that I need to edit in the Bios. Actually I am surprised I didn't think of that before.

if you get bios beeps read the appropriate guide in the guides forum.

also read the no post guide in the guides forum.

Tedster,
skarmory2002 says it posts with the 5000+ but not with the 9850+ CPU. I am wondering just why the motherboard was sent in for repair in the first place. These days motherboards are usually replaced outright when new... I hope you enjoy your new Commander-in-Chief ;)

I sent it back because it was only 4 months old and under warranty, and at the time it was the only thing i could do to get it working. I thought they would replace it, but alas they did not and now I am stuck with this problem.

Tedster,
skarmory2002 says it posts with the 5000+ but not with the 9850+ CPU. I am wondering just why the motherboard was sent in for repair in the first place. These days motherboards are usually replaced outright when new... I hope you enjoy your new Commander-in-Chief ;)
probably needed a BIOS update?

sidebar:
and no -- I am not happy with the new CIC!

I have taken that fact into account also. The latest version is 1203 for my board, which is what I have installed on it atm. This was an issue, but I have upgraded to the latest version since I received the board back.

i don't know what else could be the issue, and there is nothing in the bios for settings for a quad core cpu.

What brands & model of power supply are you using?

I would suspect the phenom 9850 puts a lot more strain on the PSU than the 5000+.

The power supply is an Antec Truepower Trio 650 Watt. According to wattage calculators, this should be more than enough to power my whole system. I am at a loss.

I cannot accept that as an answer Tmagic. It logically does not make any sense. I have used my proc (9850) on a cheap board with a generic psu and it works fine. I have used my board with the 5000 and my good psu, and that works fine. So logically, they should work together. It does not make any sense.

Have you bench tested the board with the 9850 (read: take it out of the case and test it on some cardboard).

What happens if you remove the RAM with the 9850 in?

" I have used my proc (9850) on a cheap board with a generic psu and it works fine. I have used my board with the 5000 and my good psu, and that works fine. So logically, they should work together. It does not make any sense"...

I am not disputing your findings. Logically, you have proved that the 9850 WILL NOT WORK on the ASUS motherboard, and that is a fact right? I wonder if another ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe Wifi board would run the 9850? I am very concerned about the condition of your "repaired" motherboard

Have you bench tested the board with the 9850 (read: take it out of the case and test it on some cardboard).

What happens if you remove the RAM with the 9850 in?

I have done the bench test on cardboard and on top of a static bag with no luck. Even if I take out the Ram, the resulkts are still the same... What happens is that the computer turns on... runs runs and runs... but will not shut down by holding the power button down for 4 seconds, nor will it do anything but run the fans at the highest speed it can. I receive no other responses from the computer. This happens whether the ram is in it or out, and the only way I have found that this changes is when I use the 5000 instead.

As for the board actually being repaired when sent back, I do not know, they did not give me anything to show that it has or it hasnt, but I also do not have another M3A32-MVP Deluxe Wifi to test my processor on. I will have to see if my boss can order another one in, but I don't think he will. He wouldn't want to keep a board that he may not sell for a while.

Maybe the buss lines from the CPU socket have been damaged by the repair. I would suspect that the bios chip was replaced for the wrong board, or something like that first

O.k. so I sent the board back, they sent me a replacement. The tech on chat agreed with me about the issues on the board. So they sent me a new one. Thing is it didn't work, so Im going to contact AMD about the CPU and see if they can fix it. It doesnt make sense that it would work on one board and not the other. :S

O.k. so I sent the board back, they sent me a replacement. The tech on chat agreed with me about the issues on the board. So they sent me a new one. Thing is it didn't work, so Im going to contact AMD about the CPU and see if they can fix it. It doesnt make sense that it would work on one board and not the other. :S

That sucks.

Asus was a Pain in my neck. I had a striker 2 extreme.... worked for about 2 weeks, then took a crap. I was beyond the new egg return policy, so now I am dealing with Asus.

In the meantime, I had a brand new build down for like a month, so I got ansty, went and bought an EVGA board, and BAM, working like a charm, even Oc'ing my cpu to 3.5Ghz on air. No problems!

I am still fighting with Asus.... I fear they will not replace this clearly bad board....

Anyway, i would try a new mobo, and sell the one they sent back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back