Computer is slow to start up and crashes on the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

My partner's PC computer is very slow to start up, does a whole lot of grinding noises and it takes ages for Avira to become activated and for the logo's umbrella to open, indicating that it has now become so.

Until it has done this, we cannot access the Internet and then the Internet is terribly slow to upload. We keep on getting a message that Internet Explorer is not the default browser, and yet we have never changed anything.

Invariably, when we do succeed in getting the Internet, most of the sites crash. This seems to have something to do with the flash advertisements most sites have on their sites now.

It has nothing to do with viruses because I have checked for viruses and the computer is clean. Is there anyway of rectifying this?

Compused

What OS are you running?
How much RAM is installed?
What all is starting at boot-up?

Avira will not catch everything that can hurt you. Make sure to sweep for malware using Malwarebytes Antimalware and Superantispyware. You will obviously need to download these from a clean machine. If you cannot get them installed Superantispyware has just an executable that you can run that you will need to use first. This sounds like a malware problem to me. Post back if both of those scans don't fix your problem, although the grinding noises sounds like either a fan or the hard drive is going bad. Run the disk check utility and make sure the hard drive is still o.k. If it gives you ANY problems then your disk is going bad and you will need to backup everything you have before the drive dies.

Boot the system in safe mode only and run the suggested programs in post #3. I might add you also use rising PC doctor has a anti-spyware and anti-trojan tools included. Remember to keep your system updated regularly.

If you are heading down the malware road then you will need to post in the Virus & Malware Removal forum, do the required 8 step instructions and then wait for a malware helper to assist you

Otherwise you will get confused with the amount of different advice you are getting and it may end up being counter productive :)

Why does "malware" seem to be everybodies answer for any problem?
There are other things that can cause these symptoms.

Yes there can be other problems, but you start with the simplest to fix and the most likley problems first.

Can't begin to count how many I have "cleaned" through the years that just needed more RAM and a good defrag.
AV and spyware scans all came up empty.
Most people don't seem to do their maintenance on any set schedule,if they bother at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back