Computer keeps crashing ever 10-30 mins

hello im having a problem with my computer crashing . It started to do this while i was playing wow or starcraft2 .Then also while i was playing netflix. eventualy i could be doing nothing and it would crash.

the fans start to run harder and after 5 secs it crashes . no blue screen just straight to a restart screen .

I applyed new heat sinc on the cpu and gpu the fans are working properly. I also cleand the computer. this helped bring the cpu and gpu temp down from 170F to around 104F for the cpu. and 176F to around 114.

during game play of wow the cpu stays low around 110F. But the gpu goes from 114-150F. Wich i would think isnt to bad do to the fact it use to run around 150F normal before i cleaned it.

I updated the drivers to the graphics card . im using a Nvidia geforce 9600 gso driver version is 270.61.

Im pretty sure the graphics card is to blame .All my drivers are uptodate on all other items . I have wiped my computer to make sure there are no viruses.

other things iv done: I took off the side panel and turned sideways to increase air flow and reduce heat. i increased the fan output to 100% from default on the gpu that reduced temp to around 120f-130f

my other comp info: intel core 2 quad cpu Q6600 @ 2.40ghz 2.39ghz
ram is 3.00gb
32bit operating system
gateway
vista

first thing im hoping to find help on is whats the problem with this thing. Secund is is there a way to fix it .

thank you for your time and help

It is still sounding like the issue is with heat. Good work on your part on reducing the temperatures but try this: Open up your side panel again and this time place a small fan blowing in on low its low setting first. What are the results?

so far iv managed to get the heat level to around 130f-140 stable . i set the fan on there it droped temp 2 degrees .

also a new thing has happened i updated vista and now its working. could this be the problem ? i have a feeling after a few weeks it will do it again. following the same pattern. if it is update problems how could i fix that .

thanks for all your posts

Well we have certainly seen a few instances here whereby when an OS is behind in updates issues happen but when it is updated the issue is resolved.

Your temperatures still concern me. Is anything blocking the the airflow, i.e., especially cables?

Back