Computer locks up completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pc for the last couple of weeks has been freezing randomly and quite frequently at that. I have checked the error logs and i couldn't find anything. I downloaded the burnintest software to test out my hardware and even switched OS. Eventually narrowed it down to either the video card or video drivers but this happens with windows 7 64bit and vista 64bit. The video drivers i have installed are the latest 195.62 drivers for both OS's even went back to older drivers and that didn't work maybe i just haven't gone back far enough i don't know. Im wondering if this is a hardware or software issue. Could it maybe be the hard drive even? Would appreciate the help.

My PC:
ASUS P6T6 Revolution
Intel Core i7 920
4GB Corsair RAM
250GB Western Digital. (about 2 years old now)
ASUS GeForce 295GTX
850 Watt Thermaltake XT

It can be either hardware or software.

I'd disable the video card and see if the lock up disappears. If it does, then it's the video card. It is possible that it's the video driver but for the drivers for both Win7 and Vista to both be bad is unlikely (still possible) More likely it's the video card if isolated.

-- Andy

Thanks for the help. I will try that. I just reformatted again to 7 since it happens to both i figured i'll have the better OS but i have not installed any drivers yet and it hasn't locked up yet so i'll just hope its not my card.

I have found that the problem lies in the drivers for both OS's for me, I installed the old 190.62 drivers from way back in august and have yet to have a lockup. leave it up to me to have a rare problem lol

Just wait for a new version to appear and update your driver then. It's best for win7 to have the latest drivers cuz the operating system is fairly new and the drivers still need a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back