Computer not turning on

Hi, I have a brand new corsair psu 850 that i got for my birthday on July 17, 2010. Computer worked like a dream on Sat and sun. Monday it does not turn on. Fan briefly stutters then turns off nothing else appears to be running. HOweve the light on the motherboard indicates that it is receiving power and thinks it is turned on.
Please help. Any ideas?

It could be the power supply is defective. Corsair makes good power supplies and I use them myself but sometimes this can happen just like with any other component. Do you have access to another PSU you can substitute to test with?

If it turns out to be the PSU, it should be under warranty since I presume, as a birthday gift, it is brand new. You can return it for exchange either to the place of purchase or to the manufacturer, Corsair. If you are returning it to an online outfit or to the manufacturer, Corsair, begin the RMA (return merchandise authorization) process at their respective websites. You might need a copy of the invoice or receipt but see what they require.

Thanks

Hopefully I will receive an RMA from Corsair soon. Replaced with my other psu ULTRALSP 750. Computer is working fine, so I know it's the Corsair psu. I was hoping to upgrade my graphics card but I guess that will have to wait awhile. I was hoping for a little more consistent power. Is it possible that a component can sit on a warehouse shelf too long?

It's possible but Corsair power supplies are popular so I would imagine their turnover is fairly quick but you never know. That said, sitting on the shelf a long time shouldn't make the PSU go bad. Sometimes one is defective. It happens.

Back