Computer randomly freezes

Danskove

Okay, so ive been looking everywhere for a solution but no success (to my knowledge).

Last December I bought a new gaming computer in pieces from NewEgg and a case for them. The case ended up having terrible cable management and only a few small fans (the case was pretty tiny). I ended up having to take off the side window and point a fan into it everytime I wanted to game because it was overheating. This solution worked. My problem was my computer would black screen, beep, then restart from boot menu.

Now I bought a new case. It is huge, has more than enough room for my parts, great cable management, and has a **** ton of fans (both intake and exhaust). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

The new problem is it just freezes (every few hours, but still annoying): no black screen, no beep, no restart. I dont think it could be a heat issue anymore. I have tried checking disk, complete virus scan, making sure there isnt any other virus protection interfering with my current one (Microsoft Essentials). Please if any of you have a solution or recommendation let me know! I believe my computer was hooked up properly since the friend who did it has done it several times in the past, but if there is a specific issue inside that you might know of, please offer that to me as well. Thanks!

After seeing that comment I did some testing on my power supply and it might be faulty. Placed an order in for pickup tomorrow on a new one and ill do some testing. Ill keep you updated.

Alright well I hooked up the new Corsair power supply: no fix. Any other suggestions? Might be a windows issue that I need to wipe my computer to fix which I REALLY do not want to do!

Hope this is what you needed and in the correct format:
Windows 7 Enterprise, AMD FX(tm) 6100 six-core, (2x) DDR3 4G RAM, M68MT-S2 GeForce 7025, AMD 6800 series

This is important:

Here’s what you need to know:
This is trial software designed for IT Professionals interested in experiencing the Windows 7 Enterprise on behalf of their organization so please read the following to get an idea of the risks and key things you need to know before you install.
We do not recommend that you install this if you are a not an IT Professional or not professionally managing corporate networks.

Guidelines on usage:
  • Protect your PC and data. Be sure to back up your data and please don’t test Windows 7 on your primary home or business PC.
  • You have 10 days to activate the product. If not activated within 10 days, the system will shut down once every hour until activated. Unsure on how to activate? Visit our FAQ.
  • The 90-day Trial is the full working version of the Windows 7 Enterprise, the version most of you will be working with in your corporate environment. It will not require a product key (it is embedded with the download).
  • The 90-day Trial will shut down once every hour when you have reached the end of the 90-day evaluation period.
  • The 90-day Trial is offered for a limited time and in limited quantity. The download will be available through December 31, 2012, while supplies last.
  • After the 90-day Trial expires, if you wish to continue to use Windows 7 Enterprise, please note that you will be required to purchase and perform a clean installation of Windows 7, including drivers and applications. Please keep this in mind; Windows 7 Enterprise is not available through retail channels.

Alright, what should I make out of this? My computer doesnt shut down, it freezes and it lasts more than an hour between freezes. Are you suggesting I redownload/install Enterprise?

Also, ive read online some people get this from Service Pack 1 issues. Could that be the problem here by chance?

You are going to have to purchase a retail copy of Windows 7. There should be no problems with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and if you want to keep re-installing Windows 7 Enterprise over and over every 90 days, its your call. You better format the hard drive each time

So either way I need to wipe my hard drive and start over with Windows 7? If so, are we sure this is the solution for my problem?

Yes, in any case you will have to buy a retail copy of Windows in the future and do a clean install every time you re-install Windows 7 Enterprise every 90-days. I am sure you are either past or getting close to the re-install date now. If you don't perform a clean install the OS software will "freeze" or shutdown every hour... Understand? The info is from Microsoft, not me

Alright, just double checking. I appreciate the help and ill report back after I finish reinstalling a new version of windows (Definitely not enterprise).

How about putting Ubuntu Linux on it to see if the computer behaves itself? If it does you'll know for sure that it's Windows and not a hardware problem.

Im so angry beyond belief right now! I reinstalled Windows (Ultimate!) and its still doing this! It isnt Windows or a program that was on my computer, so its definitely hardware! WTF?!!? Please help me, im so tired of my computer never working! :(

You're certain that it's not Windows, although the version you have seems far from ideal. Obviously you don't want to keep replacing bits to see what happens so could it be anything to do with the game you are playing? Perhaps others have had a problem with it? Have you monitored temperatures close to the expected freeze time?

You can push the computer for over an hour before it decides to play up so could you perhaps limit yourself to an hour per gaming session? Sorry if that suggestion sounds like heresy but after six months of problems it may be less stressful to live within the system's capabilities for a while.

Or out of last resort, Try swapping video card out, I have seen computers do this when about after a hour the card gets to hot. By then the card's on it way out at that point. May not be the problem. But can't hurt to try.

That fits with how things started - a tiny case and serious overheating. A component may have been damaged or experiencing heat issues. As Cobalt points out the graphics card is a strong candidate. You'll need your sense of humour if it's replaced with no difference though.

Limiting myself to 1 hour or so of gaming at a time will not work, kills the point of a good computer for me. Also, it definitely only happens when im gaming ive realized.

Shouldnt be anything heat related, unless its the heat sync for my video card (good possibility). Hopefully I finish running tests within the week to find exactly what part it is. (very busy week so havent gotten to all of the tests yet)

Just did some tests today, doesnt appear to be the video card. Might actually be the motherboard... Going to get more thermal paste tomorrow and if the thermal paste on the heatsync doesnt fix it then ill probably just buy a new motherboard (and need to wipe my hard drive yet again.)

Be sure to clean off the old thermal paste using rubbing alcohol before you apply just a small amount of paste. Too much paste will act as an insulator, not a heat conductor

Back