Computer shuts down on its own without notice

Recently, I've started getting this problem on my computer where I am using my computer and it would just shut off randomly on its own. Even when idling, I would come back to find my computer shut off.

My specs:
i5 2500k
8gb Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6500 Series
2tb HDD
120gb SSD
MSI Motherboard
500w Psu

Anyone have similar issue or know how to resolve this problem? Let me know if you need me to tell you anything else. I would really like to fix this problem.

I assume it is a desktop? Or a laptop? Cause depending on which type of computer there is different causes for it to randomly shut down, none of them good.

~Alex

It's Alex :p

Overheating is a common problem in both desktops and laptops, however it is more common in laptops due to the fan not working properly or other problems.

~Alex

It's Alex :p

Overheating is a common problem in both desktops and laptops, however it is more common in laptops due to the fan not working properly or other problems.

~Alex

From his specs It more or less is a desktop. I maybe wrong, But yes overheating is more common in laptops. His problem maybe just as simple as a good cleaning out of dust build up. Or turn out to be his power settings , To a bad PSU and so forth, But he really needs to start some where in order to find the problem.

Well I would recommend starting with checking the fans on his PC, checking for dust or obstructions, etc. Then proceed from there, if cleaning it out with a can of compressed air doesn't help.

(Wonders why I can't seem to get my post count to change no matter how many times I post solutions/requests for info :p)

Guys, I found out the problem. It's my graphic card overheating due to massive clog of dust on the vents and fan. My gpu was at 95C before I wiped some dust off. Now its at 55C after cleaning off some dust! I leave my computer on 24/7 and the computer has been accumulating dust for awhile now.

edit: Thanks for all your help guys!

Back