Computer won't recognize external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a external hard drive that was working fine until yesterday. I reformated my computer now it won't recognize the hard drive. I have removed it and put it on my son's computer, it says it's locating new hardware but won't show under my computer. It's binging when plugged in so it knows it's there. We have tried everything (bios, unplugging, restarting computer ect.) but nothing. Any suggestions? Thank you for any help you can give me.

sounds like its registering the usb contact, but not the hd controller. Either you just need the drivers for an external mass storage device, but since its not loading on either it could be the drive, by way of corrution or failure, or even just the interface in the enclosure when you were moving it around.

I would first suggest removing fromthe external enclosure and seeing if it boots internaly in a pc, this would confirm or rule out the posability of a drive failure, in which case it would just be a matter of the enclosure's hardware, or most likely the operating system's drivers.

Akums Razor would dictate that its probably a driver issue, but dosnt hurt to eliminate a few possible problems, and when it comes to hardware failure when it rains it pours.

note: im assuming before this that the drive isn't being shown in disk management as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back