Computer wont start after upgrading to ATI 5970

I recently updated a few parts on my computer, i went from an i7 930 to a 980X, and also updated my graphics card from an EVGA gtx 465 fermi, to the ATI 5970, also added an h50 cooler. everything was working great, until today the computer went into standby, before going into standby i had been running prime95 but everything was fine, wife tried to bring computer back from sleep and a "really loud fan noise" was all she got, no image on the display, she proceeded to unplug it. now i get home and when i press the power button it tries to start but after a second or 2 it shuts off.

I have a corsair 750 W psu, could this be the cause, anyone else have any suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated.

the whole system is: coolermaster haf x case, ASUS P6X58D-E mobo, 6gb corsair xms ram, i7 980 x, corsair h50 cooler, corsair hx 750w psu, ati 5970 graphics, 1 TB seagate barracuda, and a 250 GB seagate 7200.12, lite-on dvd-rw

Did you have anything overclocked? it could be a psu issue. I'm guessing it is since you get no power at all now. 750 watts is cutting it close if you're overclocking, or even running the system at full load.

Did you have anything overclocked? it could be a psu issue. I'm guessing it is since you get no power at all now. 750 watts is cutting it close if you're overclocking, or even running the system at full load.
But that should only result in BSOD or similar while gaming; corsair 750w is plenty to power 2D mode 5970's.

I would bet on motherboard or memory damage... Try reseating the memory and check the CPU too

update

Thank you all for your responses, doing some troubleshooting i moved the 5970 to a different pci-e slot and connected it to the psu in a different place and was able to power up the computer, did some more power testing, some prime95 and some benchmarking for my graphics card and was still not drawing more than 400 Watts out of my 750 Watt psu. So thats definitely not it, i tried recreating the problem with a gtx 465 and it wont come back from sleep, fans get going but no image comes up and the dram led is on red. Could this be the motherboard? im going to try a different pci-e slot

Back