Computers will not turn on

I have 10 older computer I have used over the years for LAN gaming. Average age 7 years. They all have sat in storage for the last 3 years. Took them out of storage this week to set them up and only half will turn on. The power supplies work, I have a tester. The light is on on the mother board. I even changed the battery on the mother boards. They still will not turn on. Thanks for any help.

Dead CMOS batteries...check and change them...re-seat RAM a couple times on each one. Reset BIOS...one of those will fix 'em

This is a pickle. I guess make sure you plugged in the CPU power along with the main motherboard power? I once thought I killed a motherboard but in actuality I just forgot to plug in the 4-pin CPU power. Sounds like your PC(s) are about the same age as that PC. My dumbest mistake.

G'day Mates,
Summary of Problem: Switch activates power supply, fans come on intermittently but usually shut off. Sometimes fans continue to run (?slower) but no BOOT up occurs. Have suspected switch failure but not sure. Switch turns on and turns machine off. Power is going through switch but not sure about whether it is continuing to make contact internally.
Live in Really RURAL area on Farm. Grid power failures are common. Problems started after most recent Grid power failure

Equipment:
I have a relatively old eMachines.
Model ET1331G 07w
AMD Athlon II X2 250u Dual-Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Integrated
640 GB HDD
4GB DDR2 memory
Mulit-in-one Digital Media Manager
Windows 7 OS
PSU: FSP 300-60EP(1)
Power supply 24 pin connector
1612828073125.png
Test results with Multimeter
Connectors #23-#24: 4.77 vDC Expected = (5 v +/- 4%) 4.8-5.2)
#14-24: 10.77 vDC Expected = 12 v =/- 4% (11.52-12.48)

Based on multimeter results am assuming PSU is the problem since measured voltages below standards.
QUESTION:
1. Should I expect replacing PSU will resolve the problem?
2. Should I pursue the question of the switch or just replace PSU and see what happens?
NB. (I’m 71 and retired. This is my first attempt to do surgery on a computer. In my other life, I did some birthin’ babies, flight physicals, etc.)
Any specific suggestions (other than “go fly a kite") will be most graciously appreciated.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni1612828073125.png
Trim sends
//BT//

G'day Mates,
Summary of Problem: Switch activates power supply, fans come on intermittently but usually shut off. Sometimes fans continue to run (?slower) but no BOOT up occurs. Have suspected switch failure but not sure. Switch turns on and turns machine off. Power is going through switch but not sure about whether it is continuing to make contact internally.
Live in Really RURAL area on Farm. Grid power failures are common. Problems started after most recent Grid power failure

Equipment:
I have a relatively old eMachines.
Model ET1331G 07w
AMD Athlon II X2 250u Dual-Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Integrated
640 GB HDD
4GB DDR2 memory
Mulit-in-one Digital Media Manager
Windows 7 OS
PSU: FSP 300-60EP(1)
Power supply 24 pin connector
View attachment 87439
Test results with Multimeter
Connectors #23-#24: 4.77 vDC Expected = (5 v +/- 4%) 4.8-5.2)
#14-24: 10.77 vDC Expected = 12 v =/- 4% (11.52-12.48)

Based on multimeter results am assuming PSU is the problem since measured voltages below standards.
QUESTION:
1. Should I expect replacing PSU will resolve the problem?
2. Should I pursue the question of the switch or just replace PSU and see what happens?
NB. (I’m 71 and retired. This is my first attempt to do surgery on a computer. In my other life, I did some birthin’ babies, flight physicals, etc.)
Any specific suggestions (other than “go fly a kite") will be most graciously appreciated.

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres AeterniView attachment 87439
Trim sends
//BT//
----------------------------------

No question you have a PSU problem, so that will have to be changed out. Whether there is more damage you won't know until you do the PSU. Power flashing can corrupt hard drives so I suggest you invest in a UPS with AVR. Cyberpower makes some good ones. APC is popular too.

FSP300-60EGA is what the FSP website shows. My PSU is FSP 300-60EP(1)
That seemed to be the closest to the one I have.
The hard drive was functioning normally till this recent "blackout" so I won't know until I get the new PSU.

I looked at a website that sells redo PC's but the Dell didn't have any hard drive.
I guess I'd have to put a hard drive from something else in that one if I bought it.
I wrote to FSP to find out if the two PSU's are compatible.
It's always something.

FSP300-60EGA is what the FSP website shows. My PSU is FSP 300-60EP(1)
That seemed to be the closest to the one I have.
The hard drive was functioning normally till this recent "blackout" so I won't know until I get the new PSU.

I looked at a website that sells redo PC's but the Dell didn't have any hard drive.
I guess I'd have to put a hard drive from something else in that one if I bought it.
I wrote to FSP to find out if the two PSU's are compatible.
It's always something.
You say the fans spin up, but then nothing; does it POST or output anything to the monitor or is that completely off?

Because if you are getting output to the monitor (including the dreaded eternal blinking cursor in the upper left) that would seem to indicate a drive failure; however, if you're not getting any output from the monitor, just spinning fans, it could be... a large number of problems, but the good news is that you're most likely not dealing with a drive failure, probably.

What particularly catches my attention is your descriptor that the fans will come on and then "run slower". You say this is an eMachines 1331 G, which from my searches looks to have come out in the early 2010s. Another possible avenue to consider is that the BIOS battery on your motherboard has died; I know in the past that you can have a machine refuse to boot on that basis. Try replacing that battery and seeing if you have better luck.

lithium_bios_battery.jpg

Back