Concept video shows the Galaxy S9 with an iPhone X-style notch

midian182

Staff member

While there are still some big-name phone releases arriving in the next few months, including LG’s V30 and Google’s second-generation Pixel handsets, a lot of attention has now shifted to Samsung in the wake of Apple’s iPhone X reveal.

It’s not even been a month since the Galaxy Note 8 was unveiled at a New York event, but concepts for the Korean firm’s next flagship Galaxy device, the S9, have already started surfacing. One of these arrived on YouTube channel DBS Designing recently and suggests Samsung could refresh the look of its S series.

With bezels gradually disappearing from high-end handsets, manufacturers are using different methods to give us more screen space. Samsung and LG keep on shrinking the size of the sensor-packed top bezel, which extends across the whole of the device, but with the iPhone X and the Essential phone, the designers opted for a ‘notch’ that protrudes into the display itself.

Not everyone is a fan of these cutouts — some complain about the way they appear to invade the screen. But the concept video suggests Samsung will use the design to produce an almost completely edge-to-edge display in the S9. Given a recently discovered Samsung patent, this may not be as unlikely as it sounds.

The predicted specs list mostly sounds believable: 6 GB of RAM, dual front and rear cameras, USB Type-C, QHD+ resolution, headphone jack. The most questionable inclusion is the display-embedded fingerprint scanner. The video states it will appear in the S9, but KGI Securities believes the technology won’t be ready for mass production until the Note 9. What's more likely, however, is that the S9 will be the first phone to sport Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 845 platform.

According to Korean publication The Investor, we won’t have to wait too long to find out how accurate this concept video proves. Based on the assembly schedule, it claims the S9 will be unveiled in late-January and launch in mid-February, thereby giving the iPhone X less time in the spotlight.

Permalink to story.

Well whatever it looks like is inconsequential to me. It'll be just fine. The S9 is more than likely going to be my next phone purchase when I replace my HTC 10 next year. Naturally I won't be paying the asinine 1K price it's bound to be released at, I don't have import connections I can't use.

This is all speculation and likely not even worth discussing in depth. Samsung copying Apple's worst design choice would be the stupidiest move since the S8 is already a great looking phone, more so than the X in my opinion, just have to make it sturdier / less prone to cracking.

When the 8 came out is was a major disappointment to me the glass did not and the body failed the drop tests at Square Trader (a major warranty company) compared to the old S5. In fact raising the memory to 128GB High Speed memory almost made the two cellphones equal. To add insult to injury the Bixby voice did not work when the phone rolled out and Samsung kept it a secret. even Verizon technician and the 1st tier Samsung technician did not know why Bixby and the button did not function. But lets not forget their special that promised 256GB, memory, stereo headphones, and their virtual headset all for $99, well actually you can forget it because even if you pre-ordered they were sold out nation wide in 2 hours leaving most people out of luck. I like Samsung products but they need to do a lot better and be more honest with the customer. Will the S9 really be better well time will tell but best not to invest in it until it is out for awhile.

Was all cool until I read "Under display fingerprint scanner".. seriously wtf they are making this privacy **** impossible.

Back