Connected but not internet access wireless/wired

Status
Not open for further replies.

monton

I am the proud owner of a new laptop! Yay!

I have an interesting and confounding problem.
Plugged in my new laptop (acer 4810TZ Window$ 7 64bit Home Premium) at home, recognized wireless, logged on and promptly downloaded 170+MB of updates. I also have a gigabit wired network and thought I would use that to watch a movie online. No connection over wired network. Joined my home workgroup (this took several days) wirelessly but no connection wired.
Took my laptop to work and it sees and connects to my wireless but no internet connection. Plug in the wired and it immediately connects to the network and internet. Disabled windows and McAfee firewalls to no avail.

At home - easy connection to wireless and network. Nightmare joining home workgroup. No wired connectivity.
At work - plug in wire and connects and sees other computers on the network. Sees wireless, connects, not internet access.

WTF???

My other 2 laptops run Linux and have not had anything like this. Very frustrating.
Any ideas?

Control panel----Internet options--double click----click connection tab at the top---skip setting and go down to Local area network (LAN) settings-----click the button, LAN settings------
check the box to auto detect settings, then click the OK button.
This should auto configure your providers IP address, and all the other pertinent info for that provider.

Windows 7 has THREE netwoking options:
  1. Private Lan
  2. Public Hotspot
  3. Work (eg domain controller access)
Delete all networks and us the Network Wizard to define the network of the day ---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back