connecting computers over LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturbo23

I have got 2 computers with network cards in connected to a Netgear Adsl router DG814 and i want to share files and printers between computers. 1 computer is running win98se the other win2kpro.

The main thing i want to do is to share the printer connected to the win2k machine.

I have no idea how to access files on other computers or how to share printers how do i do this?

Ok to share a printer in Windows 2000

First you have to have an account on the 2000 PC for the 98 PC using the exact same username/password combo used to log onto the 98 PC at bootup...you should have this account created before trying to install the printer on the 98 PC

If this doesnt' work, post back and we'll try and chagne the explination.

As far as sharing anything, just right click on it and goto sharing and security. There you can change access settings.

Once you have the account created, you then install the printer on the 2000 PC and share it and add the 98 PC's account to the share. Then you run the "Add Printer" wizard from the 98 PC and tell it it's a 'network printer' and browse to the 2000 PC. Select the printer on the 2000 PC and it should install just fine.

How do i setup an account?

My computers boot up using automatic login.

can i use my router to network the computers?

Having two computers with Windows 2000 might simplify this more, but it should be quite simple either way (unless there is a problem)

To share your printer in 2000, I figured I'd copy and paste some stuff to save some time. Here's a quick overview:

To share your printer

Open Printers and Faxes. (Start/Settings/Control panel/Printers)

Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Sharing.
The options you see on the Sharing tab differ depending on whether sharing is enabled on your computer. For instructions on what to do next, click the option that describes what you see on the Sharing tab.

NEXT...

On the Sharing tab, click Share this printer and then type a share name for the shared printer.

If you share the printer with users on different hardware or different operating systems, click Additional Drivers. Click the environment and operating system for the other computers, and then click OK to install the additional drivers.

Drivers for users running other versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0) are located on the Support CD. Printer drivers for Windows NT 3.1 and Windows NT 3.5 are not included.

Click OK, or, if you have installed additional drivers, click Close.

Keep in mind, you will probably need Windows 98 drivers as well and you can use "install additional drivers" so that the computers can negotiate printer drivers.

Also, to share this printer, you may have to setup users. In which case you can easily make/enable a guest account to share printer access or give your sister computer exclusive access - It's up to you. If you have questions about setting permissions and users, look no further than www.google.com or more friendly people here to help you out more. :)

thanks for the help.

Im still unsure if i can use my router to network the computers together? I have 1 network card in each pc and a cable to the router.

Can i create a network?

if so how do i do this?

You already have a network if you have connected the computers to the hub. The ADSL router LAN ports are actually an ethernet switch.

I think you have to set the workgroup in Microsoft Networks settings to same on both computers. And some other settings too. Someone more experienced on MS networking will hopefully explain it.

Yeah..what Nodsu mention is correct , once you connect your pec to a router, a LAN network is formed.

Make sure following protocols are installed into your pc to enable file and printer sharing:

i) IPX/SPX-compatible protocol
ii) NETBIOS support IPX/SPX-compatible protocol
iii) File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Network

thanks for the guide but the prob is not really getting the computers to share printers its getting them to recognise each other.
I have setup the same login and workgroup for both computers and all the hardware is there. I just cant get them to communicate!
I have followed this guide http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp but im not sure of any protocals or other components i need to install or what to do.

Please can someone help!

i think ive found the problem. Ive looked at the network driver and it says

the NDIS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD could not load driver code 2

what can i do????

Maybe the files are missing?

You can try removing the whole network stack (everything under network options) and reinstalling them.

its fixed now thanks

i installed windows 2000 pro onto that computer and it works fine now.

Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by mturbo23
its fixed now thanks

i installed windows 2000 pro onto that computer and it works fine now.

Thanks for the help!

No worries, you should thank youself too for the hardwork:D .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back