Connection to some websites issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

detoam

Neither I nor my friend can access his website. We share a connection. I have checked with a host and they made sure that the firewall rules were reset and the firewall itself was restarted. we can get to the site through proxies, but when accessing from either computer the error "The server at www.XHIS_siteX.com is taking too long to respond." pops-up. I tried disconnecting the router and connecting straight through the modem ( cable modem through Shaw) still to no avail.
I know it isn't the server where the site is so I am thinking that there must be something wrong on my end.
Anybody got any suggestions?
Thank You.

If you can get through by proxy then someone is blocking the site on your end or your ISP.

I contacted ISP and reset pretty much everything on my PC. So damn frustrating. I just built the site for the guy and he can't even access it.

Can you ping his website address?

In windows:

Start, click run, and type cmd and press enter
command prompt will open
type the following: ping xhis_sitex.com

Does it connect, or fail?

Using an underscore is highly unusual. I take it the domain is registered to the correct nameserver within your webhosting package, so it can actually be found?

Underscores are not allowed in domain names.
Note that WHOIS fails for this name.

The URL I put in the post isn't a real one. real one is angrydonkey.com

@Leeky
No i can't even ping his site. Requests time out

I can't, but I've only just checked...so...

Do you own the domain? It isn't valid, hence the question...

Where is it hosted?

I can't, but I've only just checked...so...

Do you own the domain? It isn't valid, hence the question...

Where is it hosted?

No the domain belongs to my friend. I am hosting it on one of the servers i resell. It worked just fine for the last couple of weeks. Then he wasn't able to access. I tried from my PC and couldn't as well. I checked with the owners of the server and they reset the firewall rules and the firewall itself. I also checked DNS settings for the site and they are properly set. I am going to set DNS to a backup and see if it works.

What message do you see when You try to access the site?

Right, sorry I missed a post above.

angrydonkey.com works fine.
xhis_sitex.com isn't working at all.

Can you just confirm the problem is with angrydonkey.com and not the domain with the underscore please?

I'll just move the site to a different server. I just ran the reverse ip lookup and checked few other sites on that server and can't get any of them to show up

Right, sorry I missed a post above.

angrydonkey.com works fine.
xhis_sitex.com isn't working at all.

Can you just confirm the problem is with angrydonkey.com and not the domain with the underscore please?

yeah it is angrydonkey.com the other one I gave was just as a sample. I wanted to ask him first if I could show his domain. He really likes his privacy

yeah it is angrydonkey.com the other one I gave was just as a sample. I wanted to ask him first if I could show his domain. He really likes his privacy

Privacy and websites don't really work together mate! ;)

Right, well it works. You havent changed the nameserver information recently have you? I'm wondering if its still populating online with various nameservers.

Failing that, and given that you have now pretty much done everything to refresh dns, the only simple thing I can recommend is that you clean up your temp internet files, and do a clean up in your web browser just in case its a computer/browser issue.

If none of that works, you need to check your firewall very closely. Can you use another internet connection to test and see if its yours causing the problem?

It would also be worth refreshing your IP address, and resetting your modem so it re-boots and then assigns a new IP from your ISP's IP pool too. Unless of course you have a fixed IP address.

i'll check the OpenDNS. Thank You.

Actually one can keep his privacy owning a website. This guy has been doing this for years.
Sadly this connection is pretty much all I can get here.
I have reset absolutely everything on my PC and he has done the same. We used CrapCleaner as well as windows diskclean command. I don't have firewall on my PC and he returned his to default settings.
The IP we have is fixed. We have two IPs actually. I thought of getting another one from ISP, but I want to see if they would be kind enough to just give me one. After all I have been very good customer. LOL.

I just moved the site to a different server and it works now. I am guessing it must have been something with the other server

i'll check the OpenDNS. Thank You.

Actually one can keep his privacy owning a website. This guy has been doing this for years.
Sadly this connection is pretty much all I can get here.
I have reset absolutely everything on my PC and he has done the same. We used CrapCleaner as well as windows diskclean command. I don't have firewall on my PC and he returned his to default settings.
The IP we have is fixed. We have two IPs actually. I thought of getting another one from ISP, but I want to see if they would be kind enough to just give me one. After all I have been very good customer. LOL.

Well yeah, you can hide your details from the who is database, but ultimately having a personal/or any website isnt for those that like to hide and be an unknown quantity. lol.

Do you have a copy of a linux live cd rom laying around?

It would be worth running it if you have (or even downloading and burning one if you dont!) and then trying the internet with that to see the results. If its a software problem within windows it will work fine in linux and it narrows your issue down. If its your ISP or router related it won't work and at least you know where the issue is more specifically.

Well yeah, you can hide your details from the who is database, but ultimately having a personal/or any website isnt for those that like to hide and be an unknown quantity. lol.
He is always been using fake names for everything or friends. Dumbasses like me, for example.LOL
Do you have a copy of a linux live cd rom laying around?

It would be worth running it if you have (or even downloading and burning one if you dont!) and then trying the internet with that to see the results. If its a software problem within windows it will work fine in linux and it narrows your issue down. If its your ISP or router related it won't work and at least you know where the issue is more specifically.

Damn I should have tried that before I moved the site.

He is always been using fake names for everything or friends. Dumbasses like me, for example.LOL

Damn I should have tried that before I moved the site.

I have enough trouble with people pronouncing my surname, never mind making other ones up! haha.

It works now, thats the main thing. :)

oh, he has created some really funny ones over the years. It's a wonder that no one ever questioned some of the names. Like Stin Kyfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back