Constant freezing/BSOD

Memory Leak

Hey, I have recently been experiencing a rather annoying issue with my pc. It started after I downloaded and installed Catalyst Control Centre to speed up the fan of my overheating graphics card (Idling at 80 degree Celsius).

I have now given up on trying to fix my graphics card so I went out and bought a brand new graphics card in the hope of solving my issue. It did solve the issue of my pc randomly shutting down however I am still experiencing a severe freezing problem, in which the screen freezes and wont change (I tested it for a few hours) so I am forced to shutdown manually. Sometimes when the screen freezes it will make a noise then it will change to the BSOD.

I have tried the following:
CCleaner (Registery Cleaner)
Memtest (I ran it over night, for 10 passes)
Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostic test (Incase of HDD issues)
System Restore (But I got an error message saying it failed for an unknown issue)
Bought a brand new graphics card (Asus 7770)

I am absolutely stuck I have no idea whatsoever, I need the wisdom of the tech spot community.

Specs:
Graphics Card: Asus 7770 (1 Day old)
Processor: AMD FX - 4100 Quad-Core Processor, 3600 MHz
HDD: ST310005 24AS SATA Disk Device
Motherboard: M5 A97
RAM: 8GB (Cant find the name)

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks :D

I would like to state that I am also doing a "CHKDSK" and my PSU is 500 watts

Can you re-install Windows fresh? Since a System Restore failed, you may have a Windows corruption

False alarm, I just froze and got a BSOD about 20 minutes ago. The blue screen said something about dumping physical memory. I need some serious help :/

Okay, I have just un-installed and re-installed all my AMD drivers, hopefully it will work. Thank you so much for your help :D

Just a shot in the dark... Since CCC requires .NET Framework to run, make sure it is up to date through Windows Update with all of the patches and security fixes.

Also, to avoid any compatibility issues install the CCC version that comes bundled with the AMD graphics driver you are installing.

Ok I have tried everything mentioned and I dont know it is the graphics card as it was happening even before I replaced it. The freezing seems to mainly be while I am play 3d games especially minecraft. Its odd because some days I can play for like 2 - 3 hours without any freeze what so ever but other days such as today It will freeze and require a force shutdown every 15 minutes.

Really, so would you reccomend me upgrading my 500w to something around 650? or even higher?

And thanks so much for continuously helping me with my issue :D

Really, so would you reccomend me upgrading my 500w to something around 650? or even higher?

And thanks so much for continuously helping me with my issue :D
the 7770 doesnt require that much but it is always safe to have more than less. It may also be a bad GPU? (what are your thoughts on why it is a PSU issue Tmagic?) just curious are you installing straight from the AMD site or a 3rd party?

Yes, a good brand 650 watt would be nice. No problem, glad to help with this:)

I think power supply because of the fact that games can be played for hours, then sometimes BSOD after less time

the 7770 doesnt require that much but it is always safe to have more than less. It may also be a bad GPU? (what are your thoughts on why it is a PSU issue Tmagic?) just curious are you installing straight from the AMD site or a 3rd party?
At first I installed the drivers from a disk, then I un-installed and re-installed from the AMD site.

When I had my other graphics card, it would overheat and the pc would simply shutdown. Now with my new one it simply freezes and never "un-freezes".

At first I installed the drivers from a disk, then I un-installed and re-installed from the AMD site.

When I had my other graphics card, it would overheat and the pc would simply shutdown. Now with my new one it simply freezes and never "un-freezes".
Do you have the Windows disk? try formatting and reinstalling. I cant tell you how to clean install the drivers because you have a AMD CPU and chipset, and doing the clean installation process may cause you to delete vital drivers since it envolves deleting the AMD folder. This is the guide btw, but if you make a mistake it could result in you having to reinstall windows since playing with registry keys is risky. http://www.overclock.net/t/988215/h...l-ati-amd-software-drivers-for-graphics-cards

Rule of thumb man, never install drivers from CD. Good luck :D

"Rule of thumb man, never install drivers from CD. Good luck :D"
Except for a network driver as many motherboards need this before you can get on-line

Back