Constant loss of connection on dial-up, out of ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helping out my father in-law with internet connectivity problems. We are getting severe drop-outs (every 20-120 seconds) on Telstra 56k dial up. We have been working on this for longer than I'd like to comment on, and have pretty much ran out of things to try barring waving a chicken leg around shouting "the power of christ compells you!" repeatedly. So, I'll list through the steps that didnt work.

In no particular order;

Modem : re-installed, replaced twice (different brands), tried dropping it to v34. error correction, port speeds, hardware control, compression. (did this after reinstalling XP as well, and about 5 times with telstra)

Software : Clean install of XP onto a brand-new HD.

Phone Lines : unplugged all devices using the phone lines, had Telstra do a line check, everything went fine, line is ok. "My" personal computer (no problems) can stay connected without issue from within the house. My computer is also using one of the replaced modems.

Hardware : practically rebuilt the entire computer (except for DVDr). Tried connecting with only modem installed and no other pci or agp cards. Swapped out PSU as well.

Computer in question is

Intel Pentium 4 3ghz 778Socket
Gigabyte P4 Titan MB
WinXP Pro
Seagate 200gb HD
Radeon 9550 w/ 256m ram
DSE PCI Internal 56K Modem XH3472 (also have in 2nd comp.)

I have pretty much completely ran out of ideas. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Until then, I guess i'll go and grab some holy water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back