Constant memory bump BSODs

Everytime I start up my computer and get to my windows 7 desktop I feel as though I am treading a minefield. My BSODs are completely random everytime and I have tried numerious different things to prevent them but all with no success. The only element that the BSODs contain that is similar is that every single one, no matter what one, always contains a dump to physical memory (System_service_exception, Memory_managament, Page_fault_in_non_paged_area etc. I've had them all)

Firstly I reinstalled windows. The problem still persisted with nothing on the computer so this eradicated it being a software error (except possibly drivers as I installed those straight away).

Secondly I bought a new PSU. I was running a 700W req. computer at only 550W but this also did not change anything.

I ran memtest86 V4.2+ 3 times. Once with both of my RAM modules, this got to 8 Passes with 0 errors, but then recieved thousands afterwards up until I stopped it. I then tested both modules seperately but both passed 7+ tests with no errors at all. This confused me.

I am no technical genius and am not confident in changing files that could potentially cause me to wipe and reinstall windows again but am willing to try just to get rid of these constant BSODs.

I can post hardware and software specs along with minidumps if needed.

Also occasionally my computer will hang on the BIOS if both of my RAM modules are in (I am currently using one, it's rare if I can start it with two) and if they are not in specific slots (A1 and B1 I believe, not 100% sure though).

How about replacing both memory sticks? Is the motherboards bios set to defaults? You're not over-clocking are you?

I would love to try replacing both of my sticks but unfortunately I do not have the money to purchase any replacements at the moment and I don't know anybody who I could borrow some off. I have no changed anything in the BIOS since I bought it, so yes it is set to default and as far as I am aware I am not over-clocking. Also the most recent blue screen was in safe mode - with networking enabled. This sways me towards hardware failure.

A simple thing to do is to try each memory stick at a time individually, and a memory failure IS a hardware failure issue

When I run my computer with just one stick in it will start fine, and will run but will still blue screen eventually (This happens with each one). When I try and run it with both of them together it just hangs on the bios powering only my monitor. No USB ports get power, nor do jacks.

Did you just build this PC? What are the specs of the memory and the model and make of the motherboard? The reason I ask, is because it is very rare to have 2 bad memory sticks, and it may be a compatibility issue between the motherboard and the type of memory installed that is causing this problem

I built this computer in January 2009, it worked perfectly up until around 5 months ago which is when the blue screens started. My motherboard is Asus M4N72-E. The memory is 2x2GB PC2 8500 OCZ.

Back