Control Panel wont open, Restrict HijackThis log Attached

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

Control Panel wont open, - HijackThis log Attached

Im trying to fix a computer for a guy I know. Until about 2 days ago it was working fine. There are 3 desktops on it. His - set to an Administrator User, his daughters set to Limited Access, and the guest account is turned on.
The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 series with XP home for the OS.

This is the issue:
When trying to run the control panel, which there is no longer an option on the start menu, nor does it show up on the left menu option for any of the folders.

But the issue is every time I try to run the control panel it gives me this error:
This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator

It doesn't mater how I run it either I have tried using the command prompt, the run option and ruining the control.exe file form windows/system32 folder. I tried running this like control users, control userpasswords, and a few others. nothing but control printers works. Also trying to run regedit gives me the same error. Trying to open the task manager says that "Task manager has been disabled by the Administrator" Trying to open the properties for My computer gives a the "Operation has been canceled....." error sames as the control panel.

Now all this is happening on this desktop where he is set to an Admin user.
I tested opening up the control panel from both the limited access account and the guest account and it will run.

So far I have tried running Ad-aware, removed 21 problems. Installed and ran Avast on boot scan, found at least 2 virus/bad stuff.

I tried to get to the Administrator account, I didnt have the password, and leaving it blanks says 'This action has been restricted by the Administrator" I tried using EBCD to to set the password to nothing. same error.

I also tried running something else from command prompt, I don't remember the exact command, but it was supposed to check the integrity of all the windows files. It didn't give me and notice of faulty files, so im assuming that everything was fine, or at least it didn't detect anything wrong.

Also attached is the HiJackThis log from scanning his machine.

Please help!!! I have been searching google, trying this I have found recomened for similar problems, but still nothing.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    10.5 KB · Views: 6
You need to disable one of the antivirus by right clicking it in the task bar and choosing to turn it off. One will need to be uninstalled.

Download, install and run CCleaner

Note: Be sure to un-check the Install Yahoo! Toolbar button during installation to avoid the unnecessary installation of the Yahoo! Toolbar.

Please download Combofix by sUBs from either here or here

Save Combofix.exe to your your Desktop.

1. Double click combofix.exe & follow the prompts. (from the keyboard select 1 and press enter)
2. When finished, it will produce a log for you.
3. Attach that log in your next reply.

Note:
Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause your computer to stall

Next post please add as attachments:
combofix log
New HijackThis log

Not to intrude on your helping him evilfantasy, but TorturedChaos, have you tried accessing the control panel while in safe mode?

While the pc is booting up, pres F8 repeatedly after it reaches the POST screen. Then select Safe mode (with networking if you need access to the net still). Then log on to the main account with administrator privileges, but not the account names administrator

hope this helps :)

~plasma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back