Cookie-blocking browser plugin Ghostery feeds data to the ad industry

Jesse

The popular browser add-on called Ghostery blocks tracking code on websites, improving page load speeds and narrowing a user’s footprint on the web. It’s often touted as an essential part of the online privacy toolkit, and made the list in our recent guest blog about internet privacy.

What most users don’t realize, reports the MIT Technology Review, is that Ghostery’s parent company, Evidon, sells the data it collects to advertisers.

It should be made clear that opting-out of sharing information within Ghostery excludes you from this data collection, and Evidon reportedly abides by this request.

Evidon’s co-founder and CEO, Scott Meyer, says there is no conflict in the two roles his company plays in offering users a tool to hide from the ad industry while also providing data about those users to advertising companies.

“Anything that gives people more transparency and control is good for the industry,” says Meyer.

Evidon sells two services to its clients. The first profiles the tracking code from a website, and allows site operators to view where it is coming from and how it affects the speed of their pages. The second provides advertisers with statistics on how common trackers from other companies are on the web.

The first, says Meyer, is very important because site owners often don’t realize what tracking code from other sites is being used on their visitors. “It’s usual for the operator of a website to say, ‘These 10 companies on my site I know about and these 10 I didn’t,’ ” says Meyer.

Not everyone is convinced that the duality of Evidon’s role, straddling the line between consumer privacy and the advertising industry, is as harmless as Meyer suggests.

Evidon sells a significant amount of data to ad companies wanting to ensure their compliance with the AdChoices program. AdChoices is supposed to help people opt-out of targeted ads, and Evidon has a vested interest in the program’s success in competition with alternatives like “Do Not Track” features that are becoming standard in some browsers.

Permalink to story.

I just threw my disgusting Ghostery in the incinerator. Shame on you Evidon, you are despicable.

It says they honor the request if you opt-out. They should be more upfront about this stuff, but they need to make money somehow.

The option to opt-out is the very first item shown when managing the add-on. This should be immediately seen after installing the add-on and managing the trackers and cookies you want to block. The data is collected anonymously and you can see explanation as well as a link to their FAQ on their website. There on their site written in bold it says data is shared with businesses however it is anonymously. My tinfoil hat is bigger than most, however this is a non-issue, especially with the clearly visible opt-out and explanation. Stop causing needless panic.

I installed that app a year back. I uninstalled it a second after installing lol.

I use a real app called Disconnect instead.

This app is simply not needed. Use the Easyprivacy addon for Adblock Plus or Adblock and watch Ghostery suddenly not blocking anything.

I hated it from day 1, because it broke some pages and I had to manually allow stuff.

Glad this is not an Australian company, you get in a lot of trouble for Opt-out instead of opt-in when it comes to privacy...

So instead of the website you're visiting getting paid for adds, this ahole gets paid instead under the guise of protecting your privacy.

Ghostery is useless because you can always use EasyList privacy (or such) so there is no need for separate extension at all.

This app is simply not needed. Use the Easyprivacy addon for Adblock Plus or Adblock and watch Ghostery suddenly not blocking anything.

I hated it from day 1, because it broke some pages and I had to manually allow stuff.

Same. I use Disconnect instead.

Ghostery's website ghostery.com that is clearly states in under OUR PROMISE
Ghostery will never be used for advertising
... thankyou very much uninstalled hope you rot with that money you made. Can someone please sue this company ?

First off all, anyone that goes "omg cookies are evil I need to block them now" is already a red flag.

You, dear Internet user, is uninformed and paranoid and you are being preyed on because of your ignorance. Don't start blaming everyone else because you couldn't be bothered to uncheck the opt in option for data collection.

Ps. Don't forget to buy a registry cleaner with that cookie blocker and one of those "speed up my pc" utilities while you are at it! (disclaimer: No don't buy those things, they are all bull*****, that was sarcasm)

If's its online, it ain't private. No encrypted cloud, secured server or incognito method will save you. Big Brother is in fact, watching you. (just my crazy take, don't take it too seriously :) )

Some of you are just pathetic! Demanding protection at no cost to yourself and thinking that there is such a thing as benevolent entities with unlimited resources to do good.
I honestly do not have a problem with groups like this collecting and selling anonymous statistics, because they provide a "free" service to me and to which I can tell them I don't even want them to make a means to continue to provide this service, by opting out.
Not to mention some that just piss on a product that doesn't do everything for them (for free) and provide no feed back to the company, but only gripe and ***** on forums.

Damn freeloading punks, go try and do community service jobs (volunteer work) for a living and see how well that pays your bills.

I got nothing to hide. Why should it bother me if they sell my private information. J/K
Would you mind scooting me over a PM of your credit card numbers? I swear I won't share them with anyone else

For the rest of you that might want to conceal your private info and browsing, the latest Firefox has, "do not track" built in.

Back