Cooling question on 8800GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvhuffer

I have a 7800GT that gets to 80C pretty fast. That's with stock settings (real stock 400/1000, not what EVGA advertised it as) and stock fan. Above that I start getting artifacts.

I'm building a new system for my son and I am going to get him an 8800GT. How is that card heat wise in general? Am I going to need to consider figuring alternate cooling into my budget? I see there are a lot of different setups. Anybody have this card that runs stock settings cool no problem? I probably won't set it up OC'd for him.

nVidia cards tend to run hot because their default fan speeds are set too low to keep noise down. Just download and install a program like Rivatuner and it will let you manually reset the fan speed. It will make a little more noise under load but run alot cooler.

I have a stock 8800GT, and have no problems with it overheating. It does get hot, (78-82C) but that dosen't seem to cause it problems.

Yes I run RivaTuner on mine already. I got a 98CFM fan on my CPU cooler, so I don't have to listen to the jets overhead dropping in to land at LAX. lol So noise isn't much of an issue. My son uses his system as white noise so he can sleep at night. So noise isn't an issue with him either.

Cinders. Who makes your card?

Either Install RivaTuner or by a third party cooler if worried about the temps. I don't seem to have any probs with the stock 8800GT in my second rig runs at about 60 idle 75 ish load.

Unless you're running a case covered with insulation I doubt it will overheat...my 9600GT is running fine with the fan at 45% :), 74 load and 56 idle :D I doubt it will be as hot as your 7800GT.

Get yourself a HD 4850 instead of 8800GT. its even better than 9800GTX besides being cheap.

P.s: But its hotter than 8800GT with stock cooling. You can get Sapphire Toxic series HD 4850 parts

Get yourself a HD 4850 instead of 8800GT. its even better than 9800GTX besides being cheap.

P.s: But its hotter than 8800GT with stock cooling. You can get Sapphire Toxic series HD 4850 parts
Well, actally, the 4850 and 4870 have even more heat problems than the 8800GT at stock fan speeds. That's what he's worrying about, and from the look of what he said he already has the 8800GT so he probably doesn't need a new card. Sry, just mentioning this if you didn't notice.

eVGA's 8800GT AKIMBO would be a great choice for your son's PC. It has a dual-slot cooler, which makes it run much cooler than other 8800GTs and it will also be quieter.

No don't have it yet but I did buy one from NewEgg. A PNY 8800GT 512MBs DDR3. It came with a free game (Frontlines: Fuel of War) and free shipping. $119.00US. I also picked up 2 gigs of Patriot Viper PC2 8500 RAM for myself. The PC2 6400 I have is holding me back from going past 3.4 with my E6400 I never used a PNY card before, but the price was right. That's without a rebate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back