Corrupted f Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry INDEX.MAP in index $I30 of file 5095.
Deleting index entry OBJECTS.MAP in index $I30 of file 5095.
Deleting index entry 00105286.MAP in index $I30 of file 11106.
Deleting index entry 00105287.MAP in index $I30 of file 11106.
Deleting index entry 00105288.MAP in index $I30 of file 11106.
Deleting index entry 00105289.MAP in index $I30 of file 11106.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

I tried Chkdsk/f, and Chfdsk/c and it seems to still have problems.

What is the problem?

How Serious is this, how did it came and how to fix it?

CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.
You're computer needs to restart to fix this error, as index.map and company are system files that are 'always in use'. If you use chkdsk /f, it should prompt you to 'schedule the volume to be checked when you restart' and the next time you boot your computer, it will run. Does it do this? If not, perhaps if you boot into Safe Mode chkdsk will behave differently. You can also boot into the Recovery Console using an XP CD and perform the same function outside of Windows - this may be better.

Deleting index entry INDEX.MAP in index $I30 of file 5095.
I'm not entirely sure, but I think index.map and objects.map are used for XP's indexing service - which is really just about useless. The other *.map files are probably related to the indexing service as well.

Just for the good of your computer, I'd like you do to disable your indexing service.

Start > Run > services.msc

Scroll the Services window down to 'Indexing Service'. Double-click it and a properties window should appear. Select 'Disabled' from the pull-down menu and click the 'Stop' button. Click OK when it successfully stops the service.

It may also be worthwhile to scan your drive for physical errors using a manufacturer's diagnostic, which can be found here. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic7602.html

Run it a few times and see if you have any errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back